Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Gun Sales Up, Murders Down

The Federal Bureau of Investigation reports a ten percent drop in murders during the first six months of 2009, according to reports obtained by the National Association of Chiefs of Police. Gun sales to private citizens soared almost 30 percent during that same period.

Gun rights advocates claim that these numbers are further proof that there is no correlation between gun ownership and violent crime. The Second Amendment Foundation, a civil rights group contends that the increase in private citizen gun-ownership may have had an impact on reducing violent crime.

In a survey conducted by the National Association of Chiefs of Police of the nation’s police executives, with regard to private citizens owning firearms for sport or self-defense, 93.6 percent of the respondents supported civilian gun-ownership rights. Ninety-six percent of the police chiefs and sheriffs believe criminals obtain firearms from illegal sources.

When asked if citizens’ concealed-weapons permits would reduce violent crime, 63.1 percent said yes.

More here..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is great to read some accurate and objective information on the effects of gun ownership.

It would be great to witness the establisment of gun clubs, and if possible the establsment of an in door range in the area.

The skill and practice it takes to become a marksman with various types of weapons is tremendous. Surely there are many citizens in our area that would want to hone or develop their skills in the use of firearms.

Anonymous said...

An indoor range is a good idea. I would support it that is for sure.

The large building on Johnson Road, formerly used for the poultry business could possibly be converted to an indoor range.

Anonymous said...

I have had a small arsenal at my home for over 15 years and never once had an incident. I own 2 AR-15s, 3 12-gauge shotguns, 2 20-gauge shotguns, a 223 Bolt action Rifle, a 223 semi auto rifle, a .22 semi-auto rifle, 2 306 bolt action rifles, a Sig P226 9MM handgun, a Glock 27 .40 handgun, a Beretta PX4 .45 ACP, a Ruger MK3 .22 pistol, a Taurus 357 Magnum revolver, a Walther P38 9MM pistol, and a Kel-Tec PLR-22. As you can tell, I love to hunt and I love to just go shooting!

My 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter both know how to safely operate every single one of my 19 firearms. Do I let them use them at will by theirselves? NO! Do they regularly use guns like my 357 Magnum that are too powerfull for them? Of course not! I'll put .38 spl in the 357 for them! lol The point is that they have safely fired every gun I own, some with my assistance, but the main idea is that they know how to SAFELY operate ALL the firearms they are exposed to. I keep all of my firearms locked in a safe with a combination that only my wife and I know. I also keep my .45 ACP in my nightstand in a locked case that only my wife and I know the combination to. I am a responsible gun owner and I have passed that knowledge and responsibility on to my family. As my children get older, they will have full access to all of my firearms.

In regards to violent crime and firearms-I know that having firearms in my home makes my family and I feel a lot more safe. I dare somebody to break into my home because there would certainly be one less criminal in this world. Like my dad always said-"anybody that comes into my house through a back window wearing black will leave through the front door wrapped in white (a body bag)." Actually, I might even embarrass the criminal and hand my daughter the .22 Ruger and let here have at it! She's one hell of a shot-SPD would love to have her one day!!

You can't disarm America and I am glad that this article shows that arming America prevents crime!

Anonymous said...

10:03~I would love to see your collection.

Anonymous said...

10:03, that's awesome! And I thank you for teaching your kids the safety involved. I was taught by my dad at an early age too. I thank both my dad and brother for teaching me how to shoot.(by the way I am female) I love to shoot and have been nicknamed "Sharp Shooter"