Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Community United Over Sarah Foxwell












Folks, I am finally getting back to normal after several days of very little sleep and I can only hope that ALL of the names listed below can forgive me for being this late on a personal THANK YOU.

You see, on Christmas Day, Salisbury News reached out to all of the businesses and persons who read Salisbury News desperately asking for help. There came a time very early on Christmas morning when they realized they had run out of water and were running extremely low on food.

Folks, the people/businesses above and below immediately dropped what they were doing on Christmas Day and started packing their vehicles, started cooking food and even opened up their stores specifically to help the 4,000 volunteers searching for Sarah Foxwell. The Store Manager of Wal-Mart in Fruitland actually opened the store for Sheriff Lewis and delivered anything and everything requested, that's just one example out of many.

I want to take this time to THANK ALL OF YOU and ask for forgiveness in advance for anyone I have missed. It was a very hectic day and to recall everyone, well, it's just impossible and please forgive me if I have missed you.

A community divided by so much crime, frustrated with a horrible economy, came together as one and did everything in their powers to give back in whatever way they could. I'm proud to live here on the Eastern Shore and together we can and will make a positive difference.

I'd like to also reach out to Gary Bratten who was contacted at 2:30 AM Thursday morning by Sheriff Lewis asking for help arranging and managing all of the food and beverage services at the Shorebirds Stadium. Gary worked tirelessly for days making the proper contacts and assuring NO ONE went hungry or thirsty, THANK YOU Gary.



Sam's Club
Wal-Mart
Dunkin Donuts
Devages
Subway
Local Churches
Pepsi
Canada Dry
Holt Paper Company
Cloverland Dairy
Citizens from everywhere
JT's Market
Domino's
Station 7 Restaurant
Royal Farms
WaWa
SHOREBIRDS STADIUM
Olive Garden
Applebee's
Schmidt Bakery
Happy Harry's
Food Lion
Pittsville Fire Department
Delmar FD
Sharptown FD
Willards FD
Powellville FD
Parsonsburg FD
Berlin FD
Salisbury FD
Subrunners
Culligan Water
Taylor Oil
Chick FelA'
Perdue Farms
Adams Ribs
McDonalds
Penara Bread
Starbucks
Tasty Cakes
Sharp Water
Ace Printing
Ocean City Police Department
CoCo's

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would also like to say THANKS!! I was there Christmas morning & afternoon... helping with the search!!

Anonymous said...

This was an awesome display of a community coming together in an incredible time of need. Gives me more hope we can turn Salisbury back around.

Anonymous said...

right at this moment I can not hold back my tears, what a wonderful thing for everyone to pull together at Christmas, to help a family find their loved one, putting everything aside at this most busy, stressful time of year... God Bless

Anonymous said...

Even though this ended in tragedy, it made me aware of just how many good people there are still with big hearts. I'm just am proud of ALL people who contributed, volunteered their time and never gave up hope. Sarah may you Rest in Peace. Thanks again to you Joe. I know that this had to be extremely difficult for you. We thank you for working so hard to keep us informed, letting us know what was needed and embraced this as if Sarah was a member of your family. Our hearts are all broken. We will heal in time, but we will never forget this little beautiful child. She affected all of us, whether we knew the family or not.

Anonymous said...

So many people gave up time with their families to search for a girl they never did and never will know. These are the true heroes of Delmarva. This is living proof of what people can do when they want to help. Thanks for your hard work Joe, and thanks to all the individuals and companies who went out and searched and helped the searchers.

Stoker said...

Kudo's to all the businesses and people involved, my hat is off to you!!!

Anonymous said...

God Bless all who helped, your reward awaits you in heaven.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw your post that water was needed I started trying to find some place opened where I could buy some water. I felt bad for leaving my family even for 30 minutes to deliver water but I thought on Christmas morning no one is thinking about Sarah or the searchers. I didn't think many people were going to be able to deliver water to the stadium. WOW was I wrong!!! How amazing that so many people gave up their holiday to help find this little girl. I know for us who were not able to help in the search Christmas just wasn't the same. After Christmas was over I just wanted to get rid of all the decorations. Everytime I saw the tree or the lights all I could think was how Sarah should have opened her gifts that morning or how on the 22nd before she went to bed how excited she must have been that Christmas, a Christmas she would never see or enjoy was only 2 days away. Anyway, I have been amazed over and over again throughout the last week at how fast this community came together in such a terrible terrible crisis. Thank you to everyone!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen 2:06

Nancy said...

My husband I were one of those thousands of people searching. It made my heart burst with pride to see so many people there. That's what makes the Eastern Shore so unique! Not many people knew this little girl, but it didn't matter, everyone knew in their hearts that they had to help! We would also like to thank those who donated food and drinks, they were greatly appreciated. No matter how cold and wet it was, we new that she could have been colder and wetter and that kept us going. Thank you also to the Police Agencies who wouldn't give up until she was found.

JB said...

God was watching all of you. Thank you, Joe for an uplifting message.

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought that a post like this could bring so many to tears. You got me again Joe and no warning.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I believe it was Gary Bratten but that is minor, Most of us knew who you were talking about, it was very well organized thank you for the media coverage.

Anonymous said...

Joe, since day one you have done the best job of reporting. You have outshined all the other news organizations. I helped with the search efforts both Christmas Eve and Christmas day. My heart was so touched to see how everyone in the community came together. I almost cried when I helped an elderly women bring fresh baked cookies up to the table. She couldn’t walk the ditches or fields but she could show her love in a different way. For now we will never know Sarah Foxwell but someday we will. We will see her in heaven. I plan on thanking her for helping us find the greatest Christmas gift of all, the gift of love. I will never forget you Sarah.

Anonymous said...

I am printing this list out and putting it on my frig as a reminder of who to do business with.

Who is the cutie in the fifth pic?

Anonymous said...

4:21 Brian Donaway

Anonymous said...

I will always do business w/those who were a part of something so important. A lot of sacrifices were made by so many people this Christmas and they were so happy to do it. It makes me proud to live here.

Anonymous said...

LOL 4:21... I've been wondering the same thing!

Anonymous said...

I think you forgot the Lower Shore Chapter of the American Red Cross

Anonymous said...

I love how this area is soooo generous in a time of need

Anonymous said...

God bless them all!

Anonymous said...

I will keep this list in mind for all future purchases. They came through for Sarah.

Joanie said...

Joe, if it was not for YOU, we would not have been informed. It's not like our local news gave up to keep us informed for 2 or 3 days. I believe it was all taped ahead. I understand that by all means,but, THIS was very tragic. I cannot believe there was not much more coverage. THANK YOU JOE!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to also thank the ones who may not have been mentioned for thier donations

JAL

Anonymous said...

Please Add: American Red Cross Lower Shore Chapter

Anonymous said...

I applaud our community for all that they have done for this family. When Troy Krause and Rusty Marine were murdered in 1977 by Ellwood Leuschner I do not recall all of the community support. Maybe the times were different then.