Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

"Hungry & Homeless" A Sign Of The Times


I used to travel to LA quite frequently and as many of you know I lived in NYC for many years of my life. This is something you'd see quite often in those placed and when I moved here to the Eastern Shore, I never thought I'd see the day when things looked just as bad as LA or NY.

Life is NOT better here on the Eastern Shore. Crime is worse here, (per capita) than NYC or LA and images like the one above are going to become a way of life for far too many because of people like Barrie Tilghman, Gary Comegys, Mike Dunn, Lynn Cathcart, Shanie Shields and Louise Smith.

For Rent and For Sale signs are everywhere you look throughout Salisbury. There's no economic growth and even more fear that taxes will be on the rise, not dropping. We're in a major jam nation wide but because the people named above kept trying to believe Salisbury could be the next Rockville, taxpayers have simply been screwed.

Look at the $84,000,000.00 Waste Water Treatment Plant dumped in Mayor Ireton's lap. My hat is tipped to Jim for not purposely pointing a finger directly at Barrie Tilghman for such a BS scam.

If it wasn't for the keen eye and reporting from Salisbury News, Barrie Tilghman would still be Mayor today, screwing the taxpayers even deeper into a hole and she'd be screaming her head off at whomever was involved, yet claiming she takes full responsibility, yet no accountability.

The Salisbury Zoo just got $500,000.00 for an animal services building, that's only the City's portion of the cost to build it, yet we're in the hardest times in the history of the United States and some Council Members keep dumping good money after bad money. The Zoo does NOT need an animal services building, they already have one and only 2 years ago dumped some $350,000.00 into renovating a building that will now be USELESS!

I say, live with what you have and screw the AZA. Times are that tough right now, someone has to start acting more accountable, cut corners, stop spending and stick to only the deepest necessities.

Other wise, look again at the image above because this is going to be your Zookeepers, public works employees and the list goes on and on.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are shit now days.
$500,000 for a animal house , that is ok .
I love animals more than people.
But the man on the street should have a home and something to eat as well.
The rich people dont care about anyone, if they did they would rent for cheaper prices, instead of having to get richer off of one poor person.
But that is the way it is , some of the well to do are not going to be well to do much longer.
America is gone as i once knew it.
I know go ahead and tell the man on the street dont want to work or have a home. The truth is in Salisbury and this area, if you work for $7.50 an hour you have to steal for a living.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that Wicomico County's former PIO?

Anonymous said...

Lets see now.
We saved Iraq where saving afgan, who is next.
Yes to hell with america.

Anonymous said...

So mike dunn finally found a job he can handle

Anonymous said...

Looks like they could have given some of that "Zoo Money" to the Humane Society. Now they've only one Animal Control Officer. That's just plain misuse of tax payers money as it always is!!!!!

BubbaComagees said...

uh, um, uh, groaf pays fer groaf. um, we just gots all dem rentel sines out cuz peoples r cummin hear no we be growin.

doug wilkerson said...

I gave him my bagged lunch last week.

Anonymous said...

That guy is always walking, I've never seen him with a sign before. Things must be going bad for him now too. Oh well, Obama will fix it.

Anonymous said...

Things don't look as bad as LA, just there, for every homeless person you see in Salisbury multiply that by a couple of thousand.

Anonymous said...

It's scary. If you think about it, a lot of the general population are a paycheck or two of being out of money and unable to pay their rent/mortgage. A friend of mine lost his job because of cutbacks and it took him 2 months to find another. I think he was blessed, some are still looking. And not everybody gets unemployment benefits which makes it worse. Sad times in this country.

Anonymous said...

These guys with the signs know full well how to play the system. He wouldn't work for you if you paid him $100.00 per hour thing is he might just be smarter than those of us out there busting our humps to make ends meet, I bet he has not paid a dime in taxes in years let alone file a return. That's ok though because Joe Albero's President Obamma is going to see to it he has health insurance and make sure he is fed.

Anonymous said...

this guy has been around as long as I can remember with a sign "and a cell phone"... go figure!

doug wilkerson said...

I bet his ass is cold tonight. How many of you care? Do I care, I do. For some folks this world wont ever seem fair or right. Perepective is everything. Im a damn lucky man.

Anonymous said...

Doug, I do care and I help and donate as much as I can. It makes me sad to think there are some that are cold and hungry or even stressed because of the economy

Anonymous said...

Joe Ollinger is right. County needs leaders that think like him in these dangerous times.

Anonymous said...

I've seen him around for a long time also. I have given him a breakfast sandwich and watched him eat it like he hadn't eaten in days. He also says "thank you" and "God bless you". I think of him and others like him every night when I go to bed. I thank God for the roof over my head, the pillow under my head and the blankets that keep me warm.

I try not to judge. My grandma always said "walk a mile in their shoes". What brought him to this point in his life I pray I will never know. I do know he will be in my prayers tonight.

Anonymous said...

I heard on WBOC that there are 1100 children that are homeless in Wicomico school system. That is truly sad for this to be. However we will continue to waste money on projects that have little value or meaning. We will continue to bash each other about each others' opinions. It is time for everyone to stop and count their blessings. You may think you are safe from ill will or problems. Nothing is guaranteed but death. I hope everyone that reads this blog will stop and ask yourselves..what would happen if this happen to me.
I pray for unity and good will for our great country. May god truly bless you all.

citygoer said...

None of the real local problems have ever been addressed by local govt. Jobs leaving, expensive real estate, high taxes and poor education levels are all problems that lead up to the pic above. Even if that homeless man is milking the system, imagine all the other ppl around here living paycheck to paycheck. Trust me, there are ALOT of ppl around here like that. Where are the good paying jobs, the "high quality of life" that I hear so often?? Life definitely isnt better here. The low standard and "laid back" mentality here means nothing will ever change and issues that need to be resolved will be overlooked because "it'll be alright". Nothing changes here, blog all you want the good ol boys have an agenda and thats what is important. My best suggestion, move. I hope to one day.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how anyone can feel sorry for the regulars that you see on W Main Street, or over there across from Pep boys. There are people out there that truly are homeless, and no matter what they try they can't seem to get ahead. These guys go from intersection to intersection looking for a quick buck, but if they put just as much effort into looking for a job they wouldn't have to beg. Ask those guys when was the last time they seeked help to get off of the streets and see what they say.