Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, October 12, 2009

Fernando Guerrero Wins Title Fight In Salisbury, Maryland















Let me start by wishing Fernando Guerrero a very Happy Birthday as today. Secondly, I'd like to thank the Guerrero Family for yet another fantastic evening of Boxing in which Fernando and his Brother Alex won both of their matches and Fernando a brand new Belt.

Oscar Duran was a typical African fighter who used every possible trick in the book, including butting heads frequently, even to a point Fernando got a cut just over his left eye requiring 5 stitches.

Duran's corner continued to poor water down the front of Duran's boxer shorts which made the ring very wet all over and very slipery, especially where there was printing on the canvas. This caused a slip in the late rounds in which they called for a standing 8 count against Fernando.

Nevertheless, Oscar failed to truly connect at all during the entire match. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who went to the fight that will claim Fernando got hit quite often but one thing I can assure you of is that he was either hitting Fernando's gloves and or his arms on what looked like body shots.

Seriously, when you see the tapes of this fight you'll clearly see that Duran tired out very quickly, even though he claimed he was doing a ton of training. This allowed Fernando to relax in the last three rounds as Fernando knew Duran didn't have the strength or speed in the last three rounds to do any damage, so he pretty much played with him in the final three rounds.

I met with Hal and Fernando to discuss much of this on Sunday and I have to say, even standing 2 feet from Fernando, you cannot tell he was even cut. They did a beautiful job fixing him up at the Hospital right after the fight and thanks to PRMC, Fernando was able to quickly get over to Brew River where literally more than a thousand people came to the after party. The line to get in was the longest line Brew River had ever seen and they even had to stop allowing people in because there was simply too many people there.

For me personally, I enjoyed the outdoor event but I personally would rather any other fights to be held at the Civic Center. The lighting was better and as I moved around during some of the matches, (as I had done at the Civic Center as well) you could see the ring much better as well as the fights. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear your opinion.

When I get a better chance I'll do another Post about this great fight as well as some of the other fights and upsets.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was awesome. You could see much better. With the exception a few idiots who can't just drink one beer and enjoy the evening. It was a great time. This is a really great event for our area. Being outside made for a much more exciting event.

Anonymous said...

Definately better at the civic center. Don't know why idiots need to stand in line for 20min to buy and $8 beer. Enjoy the fights, then go drinking afterwards!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised anyone could afford more then one beer. Price gouging at its finest. When your the only venue in town that serves beer you can charge what you want.

Anonymous said...

Spent hundreeds on tickets then they charged me $3.00 to park in the dirt! Are the Shorebirds that desperate for money?

H. Hall said...

I loved it at the Stadium...so nice to be outside, you could see GREAT from every location and it was nice to be able to have a beer!! I could have gone without the $8 pricetag but still a great night all around.

Anonymous said...

"typical African fighter"? WTF?

Anonymous said...

10:56
that's what i was thinking what the hell does that mean? could you explain that without everyone getting racy or digressing from the story. no ones angry just want to know. thanks

Anonymous said...

Certain fighters from certain backgrounds have a tendency to have certain fighting styles that include head butting and thumb in the eye. It is a common yet dirty practice that is known from where the fighter trains. Roberto Duran was notorious.

Anonymous said...

Only 8 comments so far on this huge event that took place here and crowned a new local champ? I've heard and read many different opinions on who won this fight and why. I thought there would be much more said on here.

Congrats Fernando!!!

JimH said...

Another paper tiger Fernando beats. I love watching him fight, but he needs to start fighting people that have won recently. Why they picked Duran, a fighter who has not won in the last two years (I believe), is beyond me.

What concerns me now is he went 10 rounds with Duran, which should not have been necessary.

Anonymous said...

I watched the entire fight and thought that Fernando lost. Don't take this the wrong way because I am a huge Fernando fan but it did not seem like he did enough to win the belt. He started out real slow and did not seem to have an advantage on the inside. That is just my opinion though.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anonymous said...

This is the first fight I have been to but I had a blast. I went with my son and some friends with their kids, we all had a blast!!Just wish it was a little warmer started getting cold at the end!!!!

Anonymous said...

My opinion, civic center has better seats & view of the fight. Even the "cheap seats" are way better. I had $38.00 seats at the stadium and they were just okay. Who needs $8.00 beer just so the promoter can make even more money? That is the ONLY reason the fight was held at the stadium. And they got lucky, at that! It was calling for rain...

Anonymous said...

Agree that the $3 parking was horrible. I payed that for the baseball games but with these ticket prices they didn't need to do that.

I believe the fight was as close as the judges saw it. Fernando wasn't that impressive against this guy. As far as the toying goes in the later rounds, why? He wasn't winning by much at that point.

Concerning the slip in the 8th round, he did it in his own corner. I agree that it was probably a slip but, Joe, you claimed it was more than likely caused by Ossie's corner.

It was still a great night of fighting and we have a local champ. (BTW, how about that Santiago knockout)

Anonymous said...

I know that all beer and food sales went directly to the stadium not the promoter. Only a desperate corner reverts to dumping a ton of water on a fighter in cool temps to make an already slippery ring worse, loses his mouth piece 3 times and completes one headbut,then attempts another. Ossie landed no real punches on Fernando and even their corner knew they were on the recieving end of many clean shots. 7round to 3 rounds was close, could have been 8-2 and stretching it would be 6-4 at the very best. I think that mosty of the Fernando fans expected a KO when it didn't happen people think Fernando is not doing as well. As someone who has officiated boxing before I urge more fans to learn proper scoring. Great fight with Fernando controling almost all of the action. His only problem came after the headbut. He did start slow doing very little in the first two rounds, but took now clean shots. The vidio tells all watch it.

Anonymous said...

A beer at Camden Yards is only $5.50.

Anonymous said...

Does this belt even mean anything? I mean if the guy he was facing had lost previously then this wouldn't have been a title fight correct? I'm a believer that the majority of boxing is corrupt, and that fights are fixed. How is a champ going to fight in a challengers home town and not lose? From the pics this guy looked washed up anyway. I need to see him fight some wbo, wbc opponents. He needs to be tested!

Anonymous said...

It was a vacant belt I believe. He will get tested but he has to continue to win. I think with this win he will face his toughest challenge to date. That includes his Olympic tryouts.

Anonymous said...

$20 tickets
$3 Parking
$10 Food
$24 Beer

Watching that kid from Denver beat up Petterson....

PRICELESS!

Anonymous said...

hey numnut,it wasn't peterson he knocked out,it was ty barnett

Anonymous said...

wasn't the ring announcer great,he sounded JUST like michael buffer.bet he practiced alot to mimic him that well.