Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 21, 2009

MOLLY HATCHET: "NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM"










Molly Hatchet experienced a Roller Coaster Ride last weekend expecting to play an outdoor biker concert at Cowboyz in Ocean City that turned out to be a complete flop.

The manager of Molly Hatchet, Steve Green, contacted me last Friday asking me if I was aware of what was going on and when I actually filled him in on the truth, well, let's just say without seeing his face you could tell his jaw dropped almost to the floor.

Steve knew things might be difficult working with Johnnie Brooks as his first deposit check actually bounced but he eventually made good on the money, so they were cool. After numerous calls they were finally able to get their 50% deposit but after the Band arrived in Maryland they had received a call that Cowborz had been completely shut down.

Steve contacted Bobby Ingrum, (leader of Molly Hatchet) and told them to pull over in Annapolis and get a Hotel Room. Johnnie Brooks tried convincing Steve Green that they would be open the next day but after his call to me they knew the gig was done and over. Working with a local Radio Station they made arrangements to at least come to Salisbury and play at Break Time Billiards and quite frankly the place was packed.

Because the entire Band didn't want to let down any fans, they played for a smaller crowd and invited me to come join them on this journey, in which I accepted and to this day will never regret. I met each Band Member and spoke with them individually and their whole intent was to satisfy anyone and every one who wanted to see them play.

So my hat is tipped to Molly Hatchet for "Never Forgetting Where They Came From" and swallowed the pride to play for a smaller venue. After they played, each Member sat down with fans and signed albums, tee shirts and even enjoyed one fan who brought a photo album and presented it to Bobby Ingrum. That was pretty cool!

Anyhow, thank you Steve Green, Bobby Ingrum and the rest of the Molly Hatchet Band for inviting me to join you that evening and showing me you've still got it, you can still drive a crowd absolutely nuts with pleasure and in this case you were put through so much you lived up to my favorite song, "Flirting With Disaster" in Ocean City and turned it into a very pleasurable evening.

By the way, the Band left Salisbury that evening and headed off to Champaign Il. for another sold out concert where Molly Hatchet headlined the show and hopefully got fulfilled with a little more pleasure than working out of such a small club.

To my friend Pat at Break Time Billiards, thanks for bringing them to Salisbury. Always Great Food and Great Times at Break Time Billiards!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

shave and a hair cut...2 bits.

Anonymous said...

Mr gators in the bushes and hes callin my name.

Anonymous said...

Great pics Joe!

Anonymous said...

Not my kind of music per se, but Breaktime is the $h!t. Best wings in town and probably the best place to watch the game on Sun. or Mon. or Thurs., you get my point

Anonymous said...

The show was a blast nothing but good times. Wish I had brought my autograph book because I also had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with the world famous JOE ALBERO.

Anonymous said...

Looks like they are still lost in the 80's... Reminds me of that movie Rockstar! LMAO

Anonymous said...

Great Job Joe!!! Glad you got in and had such a great time. You're always the best on reporting. :)

Anonymous said...

I wasn't able to attend, but I have the utmost respect for these guys, and how they made sure not to let the fans down. Now that's a class act.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing the photos and the story. These guys have certainly earned my respect.

Anonymous said...

It was a great show, indeed--first time I've seen Molly Hatchet live. I was a little disappointed as I must've missed Kashmir's first set and I'm guessing they probably played some of Zepplin's best during that set. I did catch Kashmir's last set though, but still wished I had gotten to hear "Stairway to Heaven" and "Kashmir"--two of my fav's.

SAM said...

That looked like a good time. I wish I could of made it.

Anonymous said...

Will be there tonight for Monday Night Football! Definetly one of the best places in Salisbury to hang (although thats not saying much, all things considered)

JoAnn Hudson said...

Re the comments about the hair and being stuck in the 80's, maybe you need to get in tune with current rock trends. The hair is back. Take a look at many of the current popular bands such as Shinedown, etc. Perhaps you just have a problem with the fact that you have a boring day job that requires you to have short hair and fashion restrictions. Molly Hatchet has been around for decades and can still WOW their audiences. I was in the front row of one of their shows in Orlando and was mesmerized. And, if you were in tune with current music, you would know that many young bands are covering a lot of 80's and 70's Southern Rock songs. What does that tell you? Real music endures, the rest is purely disposable: Here today, gone tomorrow. My appreciation goes to the writer of the article. At least he sees things the way they really are.
JoAnn Hudson, a devoted fan of Molly Hatchet and all Southern Rock.

VALERIE PERRY said...

It should be considered an honor that Molly Hatchet even stayed to play at Break Time Billiards. They could have just left town, but are devoted musicians who are dedicated to their fans.

Thank you, Joe, for your most accurate reporting of the situation, and appreciation of the world renowned music of Molly Hatchet.

VAL PERRY
ORLANDO, FL