Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Did Urban Salisbury Really Pull It Off Last Night?











Well, even Gary Comegys was praising everyone at Urban Salisbury, even though he ragged on them for doing NOTHING all these years. Nevertheless, there was a consensus by the majority of Council to move forward with their plan in order for Urban Salisbury to meet a deadline of mid June to file for a grant for the drawing stage of this project.

That being said, as a Downtown property owner myself, I still have several concerns and hope we as the biggest investors will also have a say in this plan. I don't know about all of you but I want to see a complete face lift. What I mean by that is, I want all the flower beds removed. I want all the trees removed and replaced. Just because someone comes forward with preliminary drawings and plans doesn't make this project good. It simply makes it different.

Many wanted to see the Plaza either closed down or at least designed with diagonal parking all the way through the Plaza. This is the very LAST TIME anyone is going to possibly INVEST into a concept idea and quite frankly they have never once called me or contacted me, (as a property owner) as to what they plan on doing.

Instead, they used this Master Plan as a sort of hostage package, either they get the financial support to carry them through and stay alive or they weren't going to turn over the plan. Again, I'm NOT saying what they have proposed isn't a good idea or concept but quite frankly, while many seemed to be impressed last night, I'd like to know just what in the hell impressed everyone? So they're going to reverse the traffic. Instead of going east to west on the Plaza, now they're going to go the other way, west to east, WOO HOO!

I'm not even going to waste my time on all their plans as they refused to offer me a hard copy of their work, making it that much more suspicious. The face lift will cost a little more than $5,000,000.00, a far better investment than let's say the new Fire Station. In this case, at least people would be more interested in investing into the buildings Downtown knowing the future of what is to become in a few years. The return on jobs, taxes and positive cash flow is quite interesting and IMHO, it's putting good money after good money. I would have been happier with the Fire Station if they had a community hall where they could raise money for certain charitable events and or even money through weddings and so forth to cover some of the overhead of the new station. However, the management clearly stated they're professional Fire Fighters, not cooks and waiters. I know, it's too beneath them to GIVE BACK.

Anyhow, I'm undecided on this new proposal. I believe I am a stock holder in this real estate and quite frankly I know very little about this project/plan. As a stronger investor than just the every day taxpayer in Salisbury, (no disrespect) I want to know more. If I'm sold on the idea and its future I'll be happy to come back and express it in another Post. Until then, it's a bunch of drawings with some simple ideas but it also offers HOPE and I like the energy of it.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a JOKE, going to waste a lot more money on a downtown that is dead, has been dead and will always be dead.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes brains are a dangerous thing.

Anonymous said...

At least tell us that all the so called JOBS this will create will go to AMERICAN CITIZENS, can you do that? Can you make that promise?

Anonymous said...

Go check out the parking garage being built and tell me how many jobs it created for LOCAL AMERICAN CITIZENS.

Anonymous said...

I could have gone all year without having to look at Ahtes. As for the plan, it was interesting. They are already working on some of the easy stuff like getting a trash container for the people who live downtown so that they'll stop putting their garbage in the little receptacles on the Plaze. I hope that something will be added to their water bills per unit if the city will be emptying the bins. Back to the plan - I didn't even know that that little stone thing onthe plaze was supposed to be a stage. The idea of using the front area of the government building is good it has great natural sound amplification. I also liked the more defined areas for outfoor dining. The presenters are right that more progressive towns are going back to stores on streets and are even converting some malls to provide outdoor areas. This could revive downtown and the neighborhoods around it. As far as the trees, they said that they would save the mature ones. Good for them. The park like feeling is something that people like and the shade is environmentally friendly. I also like that they are using pavers that can be easily be removed to work on infrastructure and then put back in place again.
I hope that code compliance officers will arrive there soon with our new mayor and force the owners who don't keep their properties up to get busy.

Anonymous said...

Public Investment, $325,000---$55,000,000 if there isnt something stinky in between these two figures I dont know.

Anonymous said...

Gary Comegys sat on Urban Salisbury's Board for many years. Also don't the downtown residents or their landlords pay city taxes which should include trash pick up just like any other city resident.

Anonymous said...

If a "park like atmosphere" and one way traffic on a main downtown street was so successful...why didn't Berlin, Easton, Rehoboth, Dover, etc. and other local towns do it...or change to that plan now?

If one wants a park like atmosphere...go to Salisbury City Park and reopen Beaverdam Drive and bridge.

If one wants a successful downtown area...look at other local towns that are successful.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that $5,000,000 to be spread over a 15 year period?

As for the comment of something being fishy about the range of expenditures, the presentation stated that the range was taken from projects in towns/cities with populations from 1200 to over 100,000.

Anonymous said...

To date the City has already funded this group with more than $250,000. It's time to stop. Downtown is past its prime and that's not going to change by dumping more money there or opening the plaza to traffic.

Salisbury ain't Berlin, San Antonio, Dover, etc. Just ask the folks that build those 2 big condos on the river (dumb and dumber).

Anonymous said...

I had a business downtown and also lived downtown for years. I really thought that this plan was going to be that horrible plan that they had been trying to push for years. I think this one is a step in the right direction, but I don't think you should reverse traffic flow for the sake of reversing traffic flow. That part of the plan will probably do more harm than good. I really like the residential trash pickup idea and to the guy that said they should have to pay more on their water bills, they already have. They pay the same water bill as everyone else in Salisbury, which is why this problem should have been addressed years ago. Its also why I didn't feel the least bit guilty about throwing bags of garbage in the plaza trash bins when I lived down there.

Anonymous said...

Does the city of Salisbury live off of grants. Everytime they want to do something they want a grant to accomplish it.

Anonymous said...

add some shrubs and some median strips and cities think that will revitalize a location.

Salisbury has been trying to revitalize the downtown plaza for over 20 years. Salisbury continues to draw a circle around the plaza and not look at the surrounding area. was what they did in the 80's. it is what they are doing now.

waste of time and money until salisbury finally realizes that there is more to the plaza than the plaza.

Anonymous said...

As a "strong investor" and "stock holder" in the downtown area, you are no more important than the everyday tax payer, infact less since you aren't actually a resident of Salisbury, or Wicomico County. How many jobs have YOU brought into the downtown area? How much business do YOU bring? None that we can see so far. Just because you have a delipitated, vacant building there, doesn't mean that Urban Salisbury has to consult with you on a preliminary proposal.

joealbero said...

anonymous 10:55, There are TWO companies now located in my building, one of which employs several people.

While I strongly believe you're the Fat Man himself making such remarks based on the fact you're afraid to use your name and are always on the attack, times are pretty tough for many people. Look all around Salisbury and you'll see For Rent or For Sale signs everywhere. Two companies, I'd say I'm not doing too bad.

As for my not being a resident of Salisbury, let me remind you Fat Man, I pay some $5,000.00 a year plus on taxes for that building and you pay absolutely nothing but $35.00 a month in rent because of your section 8 housing. I am also an American and it doesn't matter where I live, I have the right to speak my mind and considering I am a strong taxpayer there I have every right to my opinion.

If a-holes like you treated everyone who invested into all communities by not living there, well, Salisbury would be completely empty because people like you who screw the taxpayer on disability and only pay $35.00 a month rent would make the City fold overnight.

My building is nowhere near dilapidated, nice try.

Anonymous said...

10:55
First off Joe's building is gorgeous. I should know, I lived there for almost four years before he bought it. If I were a rich man, I would have bought it when it was for sale. Second, his building is NOT vacant. Third, F you for making me defend Joe Albero.

Anonymous said...

You want to help the local economy build a Nascar super speedway here on the shore.

Anonymous said...

I believe this the THIRD master/conceptual plan that has been devised in the last six years. All the plans say the same thing. Get rid of the planters, make more parking spaces, and giving the entire area a facelift.

So what is Salisbury waiting for? There are people out of work now.

dinosaur said...

Relocate that ugly art deco tin-looking "monument" on the plaza to the landfill.It has always looked out of place .

Anonymous said...

you mean to tell me they are going to spend ALL this money on pretty ness and grand illusions when they can't even honor their promises to the officers of Salisbury Police Department and give them pay raises. So much for a man is as good as their word. Talk is cheap, start fullfilling your promises to the people that keep you safe, those guys are who keep us safe

Anonymous said...

I like it. Joe, go volunteer instead of waiting to be asked. Get other business owners involved.

I'm glad they didn't do some ridiculous grand plan. This we can do.

Been so long since we could say, "Can do." Feels good.