Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I Guess It's All About Who You Know?






There has been much talk lately about Urban Salisbury donating some $5,000.00 to a local Church who purchased the old City Hall giving them money to work on the exterior of their newly purchased building.

Mind you, the building recently had a face lift and was completely renovated, but for some reason, (no one knows why) they chose the old City Hall to receive these funds. I stated a week ago that I really had a problem with this and when I had the time I'd come back with some pictures of the old Court House, a building that truly needs the financial help and even more so a serious face lift.

As you can see from the photos above, the building is in true disrepair and with funds being so tight in the County and the City, it's going to be difficult finding the funds to make one of the greatest and most historic buildings back to where it needs to be. This is a major focal point in Downtown Salisbury and quite frankly there's a night and day difference between the old City Hall and the old Court House. The funds should have been given to this building, let alone several others that could use the help.

Anyhow, I told Two Sentz I'd take the time to produce a few photos showing why I felt this way and I hope this proves to everyone that I'm right. The old City Hall can certainly wait a few more years before anyone throws money their way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I really encourage you to call Urban Salisbury about this. Their grants are for buildings like the old city hall. Youa re right, the courthouse needs work and I think that there is funding for the project and that work is ongoing. Please make a couple of calls and help us to undersatnd how they are going about repairing these two fine old buildings.

Anonymous said...

Why does Two Sentz have anything to do with this?
Are you implying that the "church" received it's grant because of someone's relations with either Urban Salisbury, the church, or what exactly?

Anonymous said...

When I purchase a piece of property no one gives me money to repair it. I purchase it as is condition and I repair or renovate it.

Anonymous said...

The grant money, by rule, cannot be spent on city assets. That's the city's responsibility.

Oh, and you missed the slate tiles coming off the roof. A few more and the rain's going to get in there and raise hell with the bell tower.

Anonymous said...

Oh the roof does leak. But the county and state are spending plenty of money on the old court room a judge's office and support staff office. Have you seen the new air conditioning units put in last week? And there is more to come, more AC units, new carpet and floor and stairway resurfacing. Money is being spent and bidding practices are being Questioned.

Anonymous said...

Make your way through the offices and see how bad they are. Paint peeling off, stained ceiling tiles and many more issues too numerous to name.