Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Burglaries And News Investigations

Hi, Joe.

I wrote in a comment the other night about the suspicious people knocking on the doors of rural homes. My best friend's home (near Mardela) was burglarized last Friday sometime during the day. The week before she came home to a wide open front door but nothing was missing. After searching her home for an intruder, the police didn't file a report and told her that it was probably the wind that blew open her door. This week (Friday again she came home and her home had been burglarized--all the electronics, video game systems, and her jewelry were gone. She found out later from the state trooper who took her report that a house a mile or two away off of Athol Road had been burglarized on Friday as well. That lady had also reported that someone had been in her home in the previous week! So, 2 homes robbed on Friday.

I just read a press release saying that another home in Mardela was burglarized on Saturday. Just like my friend's home, they pried open a window and took all the electronics. If you add that to another press release that spoke about a home on Log Cabin Road being burglarized (1 of 3 reported within 2 hours last Wednesday), you might think they could all be related. 4 rural homes within miles of each other in less than a week--and that is just the ones that I know about!! Shouldn't someone alert the people in that area???

Anyway, I called WBOC and spoke to someone in the news room. I told her the same thing as what is in this email. She pretty much told me that they only read the press releases that are sent to them on the air. So much for investigative reporting. She told me that if I wanted to write something up and sent it to them, perhaps they would look into it. REALLY??? Isn't that their jobs? Unbelievable. Anyway, I still haven't decided if I even want to sent them the details. And the Daily Times, I'm sure they do the same thing because it is always the same stories on both websites at least. (And if they could get a story, the writing and grammar would be so bad most people wouldn't take it seriously to begin with.)

So, this is my vent. I know you reach a lot of people. I hope you will let them know that our area could be the target of a ring of professional thieves. (The policeman who took my friend's report seemed to think so.) No one seems to want to connect the dots. Wouldn't making people aware of this make them more observant? Then and maybe these guys could be caught.

Thanks for your consideration.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish i hope and i pray someone comes to my house and tries that... oh please do... ill have minced idiot for dinner! thanks to my dogs.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I live on Porter Mill Rd outside of Hebron and approx 2 months ago my alarm company called me at work saying my alarm had been activated. When I arrived my sliding glass door was open. When the sherriff's dept arrived they checked and no one was inside and nothing was missing. They told me that probably the wind had blown the door open. Now I live in a wooded area and I know that there was no way the "wind" would have blown that heavy sliding glass door open. Recently I have seen several burglaries in my area and when I saw the post this morning I really think that someone was trying to break into my home.

Anonymous said...

I live on Jersey Rd (way off the road) and I also came home to my front door WIDE OPEN! I also thought it could have been the wind. So whoever is doing this come back I have something for you.

Anonymous said...

She pretty much told me that they only read the press releases that are sent to them on the air. So much for investigative reporting. She told me that if I wanted to write something up and sent it to them, perhaps they would look into it.

Yes, really!!! When was the last time you saw some sort of original journalism being practiced at WBOC? It’s mostly national stories, weather and sports -- very little local news, to my eye -- yet they still maintain something like a 75 percent market share of viewers over channel 47. And WMDT has the better looking anchors!

Anonymous said...

IF a door is LOCKED, how can the wind blow it open???

Anonymous said...

9:21 AM - something must be wrong with your eyesight. WMDT has better looking anchors? If you like clowns, they certainly do!

Anonymous said...

to 9:58
by the same phantom gangs that chief webster says don't exist.!

Moon Willow said...

"Connect the dots"...my thoughts exactly. The young woman mentioned in the post is my niece.

What's with this "the wind blew your door open" stuff? Now that's just moronic. Sounds like lazy law enforcement to me. These burglaries are taking place very close to my home. I think it's time I went to Gander Mountain to buy me that pink shotgun!

Anonymous said...

Gander Mountain has a pink shot gun? Woohoo I might have to get me one too!

Anonymous said...

Get the 3" shells and hold her tight.

Anonymous said...

Look Murder She Wrote. This has all been in the press. What? The media should tell you to lock your doors and keep your keys out of your vehicle. If there is no sign of forced entry and the door is open and nothing disturbed what kind of report do you want filed. The owner did not secure the door report. Yea the cops have time for that. Just like the barking dog complaints, racoon in my yard, neighbors truck to loud.

Anonymous said...

This lady should apply for a CSI job LOL

Anonymous said...

why would a potential thief leave the entrance door open???

Anonymous said...

A thief could leave a door open because they were in a hurry. A thief could leave a door open so they could ride by and see if you'd been home yet or not. A thief could leave a door open so you could think you caught them in the act and they weren't going to return in a week to take all your stuff.
This is just speculation, but any thieves out there--- care to weigh in? Just sign me CSI!!!

Anonymous said...

Check out the Wicomico Sheriff's report for Sunday. Two more burglaries in Mardela.

Chimera said...

They are eventually going to break into the wrong home and get blasted on.
Yep Remington makes a lovely pink 870,comes in pink camo too!

Anonymous said...

Anytime a police officer enters a house to perform a search for signs of a possible crime they should, at the very least, clasify the report as either suspicious circumstance or an open door and write a short narrative report. In the case of an actual breaking and entering, the departments should print 3 x 5 which indicate a house in the neighborhood has been burglarized. The card should indicate the date and approximate time of the crime, as well as the case number. This cards are great tools for letting the residents in the area know a burglary has occurred, and if anyone observed any suspicious individuals or vehicles, it provides contact information for the case investigator. It also puts the residents on the notice that it just might be a great time for locking their doors before leaving their house.

Anonymous said...

Did any of the houses that were broken into have dogs? Maybe the first visit was to scope out the situation.

Anonymous said...

could it be culver bennett?