Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Brooke Mulford Update


Good morning everyone it’s me Brookie. I do not have a lot of energy and it has been a very long few days of feeling very yucky. Friday morning can not get here fast enough. I really do not feel like talking, because it hurts Brookie very badly at this point. I am just going to let Daddy bring you all up to speed, ok? I miss all my friends and my Bailey Dog very much, I am praying I can come home very soon but I know I still have awhile to go. I do know that Team Brooke is out there giving it’s all and that makes Brookie feel very good. I love you all and will be back feeling better very soon! Brooke

Hi everyone, God Bless you all for the Love and Support you are providing Brooke with right now. I will fill you in what has been going on since Sunday the 21st: On Father’s Day Brooke opened a toy she is allowed to have in her room and she was happy about that. She presented Daddy with a very special card and pencil and pen holder with a picture of the two of us from our last vacation. Brooke also gave me a Wii game called Order Up where you start off in a fast food joint and work your way up to a 4 or 5 star restaurant. Makes me tired just thinking about it. After this Brooke made Father’s Day cards for her Pop Pop Mulford and a very special card for her Great Grandpa Ivins. I went to visit each of them shortly after this and the one card was very special because it brought so much happiness to Great Grandpa Ivins. This was so important because he passed away early Tuesday morning. Brooke’s day also got tough later Sunday afternoon, it was day 3 of Chemo and she started the drug Cyclophosphamide and almost immediately started throwing up. She was still playful, but had to take breaks to get sick. She also now had to start going potty every 2 hours around the clock. (God bless Amy) She got her last dose of Thiotepa but still needs a shower every 4 hours until 6PM Monday. That afternoon Uncle Johnny, Aunt Johanna and Grammy came to visit and brighten her spirits. Later that evening as things were not bad enough Brooke started hallucinating around 10:30PM and it lasted until around 2AM. This was very scary for Amy as she was by her side watching.

Monday the 22nd: In the Am Brooke was playful and enjoyed watching a movie, but as the day went on she did not have much energy. She was not puking as much as Sunday. Eating at this point was pretty much out of the question. At least the showers every 4 hours were over. That was a lot of showers since Friday. The peeing is still going strong every 2 hours.

Tuesday the 23rd: This is where the road started getting very hard. Brooke had to receive a blood transfusion because counts were dropping. She also had an OT (Occupational Therapy) session, but had little energy to participate. She slept most of the afternoon. Then Brooke had an allergic reaction to something and she broke out in a rash. They do not know if it was from the blood transfusion or a Chemo drug. Then after this Brooke came down with a fever which is very scary at this juncture. Poor Amy on pins and needles for hours. The fever finally broke around midnight and every one could sleep for 2 hours until time to pee again.

Wednesday the 24th: This was a very hard day for Brooke and all involved. She was vomiting quite a bit and already has Mucosities. This is expected but not till around 4 days after Transplant. This is where she develops sores in her mouth, throat and digestive tract. She started receiving morphine for the pain. She also still has the rash. Reverend Patterson stopped in to bring an uplifting to Amy and Brooke as only he can do. He knows just when to visit! Brooke showed some life and smiles when Aunt Cheryl, Cousin Brian, Cousin Cassidy and Grammy came to take turns watching and giving Amy a break. Chemo is now over, 7 rounds! Thursday will be a day of rest and recovery to get ready for Friday’s Transplant. Well that is where Brooke stands at this moment. Please keep the prayers coming as we head into the big day. Brooke is very weak, very sick and all counts are very low. Everything is critical at this point. Please ask in your prayers to continue the Lord to give Amy this amazing strength to be the rock that Brooke draws her strength from. I will be heading up later tomorrow and thru the weekend and on Monday attend the funeral for my Grandfather for if it was not for this man I would not be the person I am today or ever been able to attend college nor my sister. He lived a good life and was 86 and was able to be at home and not suffer, if we all could be so lucky!

Rob

5 comments:

Moon Willow said...

What a horrible, horrible nightmare the Mulfords are going through. It makes me want to cry, and I don't even know these people.
This child is a very special soul to be able to keep her spirits up during all this. She deserves to win this fight!

Anonymous said...

God bless you Brook and may He continue to give you and your family strength, courage, hope and peace and most of all...a cure !!!

Reconciled1 said...

Our prayer are with you everyday!!

Chimera said...

I cannot imagine what you and Amy are going through.I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the fight little one! You are a very brave little girl who will be provided for by our God. My prayers ask for you to be comfortable and strong during this time. God is with you and your family.