Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, May 22, 2009

Find A Friend Or Loved One On The Wall


The Washington Times has partnered with the Internet company Footnote.com on a new project that transforms Washington's Vietnam war memorial wall into an interactive, personal journey on the Web. The Interactive Vietnam Veterans Memorial allows you to search the names on the wall and to drill down into the government's official war records to learn details about each of the 58,000-plus heroes enshrined on the wall.
You can also add your own personal stories, remembrances and photographs.
The digital image of the Wall — actually thousands of photos fused together — locates each veteran's name where it appears on the Memorial. From there, any visitor from The Times site can leave their stories and remembrances or upload photos of veterans.
Start by clicking on the "Search the Wall" box, where you can select "Search" or "View." Once you find the name of a soldier, you can add your stories or photos.
Click here to interact with the virtual version of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although this may be a good idea for some, it is not for me. When the traveling wall came to Salisbury I went to pay my respects to those we left behind and found myself flooded with emotion that I do not ever want to experience again. I found friends, family and comrades names inscribed. That is a time better left in the deep recesses of the mind.

Anonymous said...

I visited the wall several years ago to find my brothers name. It was the most emotional and moving event I have ever experienced. I did not see a single person there that did not at the least tear up and many were even sobbing.

Anonymous said...

My cousin is on the wall and I agree it is a very emotional time. I can rememnber when we recieved the word Charles had died and the shock and sadness we felt. I also the immense pride I felt and still feel to have had my cousin feel so strongly about his country he gave his life.
Thank you to all our Men & Women who are serving and Thank you to their families who support them.

Anonymous said...

When I saw this memorial for the first time, it took my breath away. It still does when I think about it.

Moon Willow said...

Nothing can beat seeing the real thing. Some years ago I went to the Wall to find the name of a cousin I had never met. The atmosphere there is indescribeable. There is a heaviness in the air, a sadness, a great solemnity. I found myself in tears as I located my cousin's name. I think that even if you don't know any of the names on the Wall, going there will move you to tears.