Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, May 22, 2009

Could This Be The Future For The Fat Man?


INDIANAPOLIS — A 750-pound woman who died in her bed was covered with a carpet and pulled out of her apartment on the mattress in view of neighbors, then hoisted onto a flatbed wrecker to be taken to the county morgue. Marion County Coroner Frank Lloyd Jr. says he's investigating why a contractor with equipment capable of handling obese corpses was not used, and he has apologized to the family.


"It could have been handled in a better fashion, there's no question about that," he said Thursday.


Teresa Smith, 48, died Tuesday at her apartment, where she had been confined to bed because of her weight.


Lloyd said it wasn't clear why coroner's officials contacted a wrecker company to transport the corpse instead of using the regular body removal contractors who were at the scene. He said that the regular contractor is equipped to handle large corpses, and he was looking into why a different contractor hired more rarely was used.


"You know how you hoist a car on a flatbed with a chain? That's how they took her up there," Smith's boyfriend, David Johnson, told The Indianapolis Star.
Lloyd said that the carpet was the only suitable covering available but acknowledged it was not the best way to handle the situation given that Smith's body was visible to some apartment dwellers in a small courtyard between buildings.


"We cannot control what neighbors do on balconies," he said, adding that privacy was a key concern.


He said his office was considering purchasing a special cart for obese corpses.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad story about the woman but great pic of FM

Anonymous said...

Can I ask what his disability is, or what its supposed to be. I have just seen him in a wc and then many times I have seen him out and he was walking fine.....just wanted to know what he is inflicted with

Anonymous said...

Joe, why don't you tell that to Jonathan to his face? Or are you skeered?

joealbero said...

anonymous 8:05, I mean Jonathan, I JUST DID!

You stupid fat piece of sh!t. Who else in the entire world would make such a statement suggesting I confront an alleged handicap man and pick a fight? Only you Fat Man. You are so stupid.

Anonymous said...

ROFLMFAO

Anonymous said...

They had a picture in the paper of Jonathan Taylor laying on the beach. Seems he got another Titlist stuck in his blowhole again.

Where's Kramer? He's back at the jewelery store!

Anonymous said...

you would be suprised to know how many big people there are like that in salisbury. it is very sad. they make the fire department admin people look healthy.

thomas augustus littleton said...

How is that we see pics of the same man walking around in sneakers, then in a weheel cahir at public events?
Is he handicapped or faking?

Anonymous said...

I hope he takes this seriously. He's well past the point in which he'd consider dieting. He's depressed and he will no doubt die of a massive heart attack. Let's wait and see if the fire department asks for special equipment in preparation of his death.

Anonymous said...

Faking. He's doing it to collect disability checks along with other benefits. He's one twisted b******!

Chimera said...

What is troubling to me is that nobody close to this poor lady intervened and gotten her to seek medical help for her obesity.

Moon Willow said...

bluto, intervention is useless. No one can make an obese person lose weight; they have to be ready to do what is necessary to change their lifestyle and they have to want to lose weight badly enough to make those changes. Only they themselves can "intervene." I know this because I used to weigh 233 pounds myself. I hated it, and hated myself for being such a fat toad. It was when I realized that my high cholesterol was going to kill me and take me away from my loving family that I was ready to change to a healthy, low-fat, low carb lifestyle. Now I wear size 8 slacks. It didn't help my cholesterol or blood pressure unfortunately; I feel like some kind of geezer having to take Tricor and Avapro, but I love how I feel and look now, and will continue eating healthy for the rest of my life. The weight loss didn't happen until T was ready to take responsibility for my life; no nagging from relatives or doctors could help me until I was ready to do what I had to do.

Neither FM or his wife will lose weight until they themselves decide that they really want to.

Anonymous said...

What I don't understand about the obese who are "confined to bed" --where do they get food? And why does whoever that brings it to them giving them such huge amounts ? Should those who do bring them the food start being charged with murder? Or should people be accountable for themselves? Naw, just blame it on everyone else. Our Entitlement Culture.

Anonymous said...

It does start with depression, the obesity then makes for more depression and it's snowballs and it's out of control.

I'm not taking up for him because of what he's done I see him as a POS slob too.

It has a lot to do with no self control and as a smoker that knows what I'm smoking, making no better.

However the crap he's stirred up he deserves it all shoved back up his blowhole in any shape or form. No holds barred! Git a Freakin' JoB fat arse.

Anonymous said...

Reason for the wheelchair isn't can't walk.

Reason is to have place to sit where he can fit. No chair big enough. Cannot stand for hours at meetings.

Personal opinion of man: sick individual in need of shrink bad.

Anonymous said...

He can walk. At the forum at Chef Fred's fatman got out of his chair and walked up and got in GA Harrisons face like he wanted to fight.

Does that sound like someone with a disability?

Anonymous said...

There are people with gland problems, most times you can tell because they have very large necks and faces. They can't help it.

His problem is more of the no self control, his head looks more like a peanut on a Hippo's butt!

Anonymous said...

If he were to take a cruise they would place him in a lower berth for more Ballast. It is all you eat after all!