Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Firefighters Saving Lives

Joe,

I was reading the post about the new Tower 16 and the related comments. I am not sure of the reason behind the need to know specific rescues made by Salisbury firefighters, but I believe it may be due to confronting anonymous comments. It is hard to have true dialogue when people remain cloaked behind 'anonymous' and other screen names. I can understand your views about city department management and politics as well as fiscal responsibility. The taxpayer has a right to question government practices and the government should be expected to respond to those questions. Public servants, paid and volunteer, should also afford the same opportunity to question, comment and answer. Logical and deliberate debate about whether or not the city of Salisbury has needs that require apparatus such as Tower 16 will now be lost because comments have strayed from need of certain apparatus to the need of firefighters, for nothing more than property conservation. The debate has now greatly shifted from "do we (Salisbury) need a large tower ladder" to "do (Salisbury) firefighters save lives?" While it is true in some instances police officers have arrived first at fires and saved lives (or made valiant attempts), this is because of simple logistics. Most municipalities have more police officers on duty than firefighters; most police officers are physically out on the street and have suddenly arrived at a working fire, or have been in the vicinity when the call has been dispatched. The same can be applied to EMS crews as well. However, you paint all (Salisbury) firefighters with a large brush, discrediting those who have actually saved lives or risked their own in an attempt to save life, when you challenge anonymous comments to cite specific rescues.

I was a volunteer firefighter with Headquarters (now Station 16). Some of my best friends are still members today, and are with all three Salisbury stations. When I come home to visit, I am still warmly accepted by those who know me. There are many firefighters (volunteer and career) who have made attempts and/or rescued occupants who were trapped by fire. I doubt that you will receive actual replies from Salisbury firefighters who have participated in rescues. For the most part, or at least the ones I know, in their mind that would be haughty. We do not keep a record or such of 'grabs' or 'saves', but file it away in our mind as experience, life, something between those who work together on the same shift or the same department. I believe you would find this attitude in firefighters in other departments across the country. Listing who saved who, where and when, does very little to further question the need for specific apparatus.

If citizens begin to believe that fire safety is best handled by a misguided definition of "first responders" then they shortchange themselves of all available fire protection they should be entitled to. A few years ago, three members of the Salisbury Fire Department received national recognition for their efforts in trying to save a life at a house fire. Two of the three are city police officers. So, do you (Salisbury citizens) give umbrage to the two and disregard the third because he is 'just a firefighter'? When debate about apparatus becomes debate about who saves lives, then the only logical next step (in this illogical thought) is to determine what lives are worth saving. No one should ever stoop to such a low level of immaturity. I know a number of members who have rescued or attempted rescues. Some have received national recognition, such as the late Doug Brown, while others hardly heard the word 'thanks" or "good job" from the chief at that time. Some have risked their personal safety, only to be faced with a disciplinary action due to internal politics. Some performed rescues while as a volunteer, and then again when they became career members. Others, as in the photo below, performed rescues outside of the city of Salisbury and outside of the department response area.

However, some readers will not see the rational points in this. Instead, "anonymous" will follow your call to have a list of rescues. The number of Salisbury firefighters, career and volunteer, who do their job and avoid the soap opera within the department and city, will receive another coat from the broad brush. For those, I can offer my own experience, just one personal example. On a New Years Day, before I moved from Salisbury, firefighter Todd Pruitt and I located and removed an unconscious occupant from his bedroom in an early morning house fire. The victim was a Salisbury State University student and football player, if I remember correctly, and the two of us had a difficult time trying to get him out.

Unfortunately he succumbed to smoke inhalation.

I guess since he died, then this one doesn’t count?

The fire that Harold Scott is referring to was in the eighties. They went to the rear and climbed through a window to get to the kids still inside. I believe it is that one; I was referring to, where Doug Brown got an award from Firehouse Magazine. I don’t intend to come across as challenging those who might truly consider firefighters don’t save lives, by posting my own experience, but I do challenge the silliness that goes from questioning the purpose of a specific piece of apparatus to the need for the people who use it.

The photo (actually a photo of the clipping) is from the Times, showing Fulton Bagwell and Tony Sterling (doing compressions) attending to a woman pulled from a fire in Allen, before the Allen Fire Company was formed. The person doing mouth-to-mouth is a bystander who also stopped to help. It is the Fruitland Fire Department in the background.

William (Bill) Carey

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Multi Millions is Multi Millions.
(The math is clear).

Anonymous said...

BRAVO! Way to go! Very well stated and I totally agree! I knew both Fulton and Tony from my younger years!
From a former,long ago, Deputy Fire Chief's daughter.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I apologise, my last comment was NOT in keeping with the topic of the cost. It just brought back some memories. I believe the money could have been spent on improvments on the original truck. This new one looks llike something you would see at the Civic Center at a Monster Truck Show!
Cindy

Anonymous said...

You could honestly debate these issues all day and all night, but really try as you might you will have no impact.
There is no accountability in this county. It's sad.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong with pride, and Salisbury should have the best equipment possible. However, they have certainly wasted alot of money between the new firehouse and this building. Did they need a new Station 16 yes - one so big and extravigant, no. They should have spent the same amount of money and built both a new 16 and a new Station 2 (north salisbury) or a new substation in north salisbury and kept an ambulance and a engine at the current station 2 on brown street. The money spent on this one tower alone could have been spent on 2 smaller towers which would be able to manuever around the city and be more useful. Ideally, you should never need a tower this big in Salisbury. If a fire got this out of control someone didn't do their job. Taller buildings should have sprinklers, firewalls, etc, etc. and with a fast response be knocked down. The tower would come in much later as the 4th peice on scene. Let's hope they don't try to make this a first response peice to show of the size of their manhood. Salisbury is not ocean city, one 7 story building and a few 5 story buildings. No condos and large hotels.

As far as pride, yes the old truck was ugly, and i think for pride the trucks should all match color. But "stealing" Laurel's look is stupid. First laurel, then Delmar, now Salisbury has to copy? I think Salisbury should have gone all black, that would have really set them apart and looked nice. I personally think the Peirce equipment looks cheesy anyway, but what do I know.

Too many cheifs, not enough indians, the indians they have on paid staff could care less what stuff costs.

Anonymous said...

Well Said Sir.

Anonymous said...

Very well written and said.
Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Very well written, I have one comment though. As a police officer here for many years, I can count on one hand the times that I received info from 911 about a fire, a person in medical distress, injury, etc. Sometimes we get the call for an accident and when we get there the fire guys are sitting waiting for us and EMS has been and gone due to the lag in communication. You are right in your point that police are normally patrolling the streets and have faster response times. It makes me wonder how many lives could have been saved or evidence collected before the nature destruction that occurs at a scene. I do not think in any way that police are qualified to handle the fires and EMS needs, we are very under trained in that area and you guys do it the best. My point is that this area has a huge problem in communicating and working together. I hope the new mayor can change the course that has been set her for so long. Also I am not putting any blame on 911; they are doing what they are told to do. It is all the agencies not wanting to work together. FYI for people who do not know 911 (central) dispatches the fire companies, EMS, and relays the 911 police calls to the appropriate police agency. That is why 911 for police can take longer sometimes than calling directly.

I know this issue of communicating and working together should be a huge concern in who we elect for next mayor. Good luck Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

What sage commentary.
Joe, you should meet this person. No, I mean really, you should meet him. Call me so I can come, too.

joe albero said...

I already know him.

Anonymous said...

Great post Bill. I could not have stated it any better. As a wise man once stated " success is where preparation meets opportunity". That applies to this topic.

Anonymous said...

Now there's a guy with a few bars.

Anonymous said...

Well saving someone in the 70's or 80's doesn't justify a need for a million dollar ladder truck in Salisbury today. They could still be using an old ladder truck because it rarely gets used.

Remember there aren't fires everyday.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
What sage commentary.
Joe, you should meet this person. No, I mean really, you should meet him. Call me so I can come, too.

5:05 PM

Wow, you must really be drooling over this guy. He ain't all that, but if you get off that is all that matters.

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:03
Ask Paramedic/Firefighter Dave Merritt if Salisbury needs a new ladder. He's went out on disability because of the old truck.

Anonymous said...

I have not been following this as closely as I should, however when I saw the picture of Fulton and it brought back some great memories. I know this has nothing to do with this discussion, but Fulton was my friend my brother and my hero! I miss you hoss.

Anonymous said...

Retired Fart said...
Anon 7:03
Ask Paramedic/Firefighter Dave Merritt if Salisbury needs a new ladder. He's went out on disability because of the old truck.

7:36 PM

No Salisbury doesn't need a new ladder truck it just needed to be maintained properly which it never was. New trucks fail as well. As someone mentioned earlier the members of the SFD were told to neglect that truck. If you are really a retired fart from the SFD you would agree with this.

Anonymous said...

No SFD personnel were ever told to not maintain it in my presence. I have spent many hours maintaining this truck as well as the 1972 LaFrance. Torque the turntable bolts at 135 ft lbs on the 15 th. Sound familiar. No fire department willingly lets equipment go to the point it hurts or kills its memmbers. All the SFD members I ever worked with realized the need for this truck. This truck is a 1980. Its seen better days and its time.

joe albero said...

Retired Fart,

See & Gordy have been spreading a rumor that one of the female Council Members challenged the SFD of abusing the Fire Trucks.

Let me assure each and every one of you while I have your attention here. I spoke to Debbie Campbell and Terry Cohen and they have NEVER come even close to suggesting anything of the sort.

See & Gordy are lying to each and every one of you in the hopes of getting you to turn on them.

Yeah, I know I've pissed these two off to no end lately and certainly this will even piss them off even more. So here's what I strongly suggest to each and every one of you. Call Debbie and call Terry and ask them for yourself. Do NOT believe these two on their word. If they are so right, challenge Debbie & Terry and they will not lie to you.

I wouldn't trust those two overweight SOB's as far as I could throw them. They know their jobs are on the line and they'll say anything to get Comegys and others voted into Office as yes men/women.

So I don't get any more phone calls on this matter, I KNOW ABOUT IT. No one thinks anyone would abuse the equipment and no one thinks anyone is purposely blowing engines just to get a new vehicle. Now, would I put that past See & Gordy, hell no I wouldn't. Didn't they recently replace an engine in one of Gordy's old vehicles?????

Anonymous said...

Mr Albero
I no longer work there and dont care what any of the council or current administration have to say. I'm just telling you what I experienced while I was there.

Anonymous said...

David Merrit is a joke and a half... another inbreed Pittsville hick.

Anonymous said...

I took this picture when I was a reporter at the Daily Times. Tony and (the late) Fulton Bagwell tried desparately to save this woman despite her vomiting. She was black and they were white, but in that age of racism, they obviously couldn't have cared less. They were unable to do so and visibly upset that they couldn't save her. These were two dedicated firefighters. I'll never forget it.