Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Daily Times Cover Ups

Let me ask you something Ladies & Gentlemen.

Haven't you noticed that the Daily Times rarely ever reports on CRIME in the City of Salisbury? Did you know that the Salisbury Police Department sends them Press Releases every single day, (if available) yet they refuse to cover anything other than a murder.

They'll cover all the way up to Dover, Ocean City, Cambridge and yes, they'll even cover Montgomery County crime but they will not produce the regular crime right here in Salisbury.

My guess would be that they're under too much pressure from the Mayor's Office to do so and while Salisbury News delivers crime within the City of Salisbury, it simply amazed me how they'd let us share that information while they simply held back and said nothing. Over the years they have done this all too often on many different subjects.

When it came to the Waste Water Treatment Plant, they waited weeks before the story became so large they simply had to report it. We fought for months calling them every single day to pressure them into telling what was going on at the Zoo and this was just ONE article of what would be a series of follow up articles because they only told a part of what was going on. When I called them for the follow up Joe Carmean said, "Haven't you caused enough damage Joe?"

That statement in itself tells you there was lots more to cover but the Mayor put so much pressure on them they dropped the whole thing and even turned it around to make it look like my Wife was disgruntled, fools!

Now we come to Blogs. The Daily Times knows we've accomplished the impossible, or so they thought. Salisbury News has grown so big the Daily Times is laying off employees like there's no tomorrow and like I said earlier in a comment, if they give a link to Salisbury News, our hits do NOT go up for the day. We've accomplished something they never thought could happen and now the Daily Times is a back up or an alternative behind Salisbury News. Yeah, people like Lynn Cathcart who still get the Daily Times delivered to their home are still thinking that they're being delivered updated and local news. Lynn, no your not. You're getting a paper that gets thinner by the day and you come here to get the real news or to see if your name is on the Blogs.

I think back when graffiti was everywhere Downtown and the Daily Times refused to cover it and when they did it was a small photo and a 3" x 1" wide article about it. They didn't want the Citizens to know how out of control things were with Gangs and Crime. God Forbid they expose the Chief of Police and the Mayor.

Then they rag on the Blogs today, while they have numerous Blogs right o their Website. It's OK to rag on the Blogs every day but they're in the same business. The difference between the Daily Times and Salisbury News is, the Chief or the Mayor can't come walking in my door screaming and yelling and cursing like the Mayor did on the Zoo story without walking back out i hand cuffs! The other difference is, Salisbury News delivers real news and information, not covered up crap like the Times does.

Their Editorial yesterday was a complete lie about Bryan Brushmiller. The comments brought out information from the Md. Case Search Files and that's REALITY, Idiots! No one said he was CONVICTED of anything. This is simply what the Daily Times wants everyone to believe and people like Lynn Cathcart sit back and read that crap and think, boy, those Blogs are nasty. No Lynn, the Blogs tell the truth, this one anyway.

In the end we simply have to face the fact that the Daily Times will be around until Gannett simply calls it quits here in Salisbury. We'll continue to encounter articles like this one and they'll slide by and get away with these lies because that's their PROFESSION and they simply and conveniently leave out the name of the Blog they're discussing and think they're in the clear. I will contact my attorneys today and see if we have anything against them because I feel standing by and letting them attempt to crush ALL of us is wrong. They may disagree and then provide facts but I actually think since everyone knows Salisbury News is the largest Blog at least on the Eastern Shore, their intent was us and it's time we stop the slander. We'll see what happens and I'll keep you posted.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two saturday's ago 3 streets down you couldn't even cut down that street there were so many drug dealers and cars lined up. if you want to score this is the place. put a price on their heads and I'll pay off the mortgage

Anonymous said...

I would go over to the times and
get papers pretty often , to
see that the advertisements we paid for were correct. I always
noticed that Shanie was sitting there doing nothing . I often wondered how this palace survived with that kind of help. Now I know!
It won't survive!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the same way the mayor uses LLC's to cover up her real estate dealings. They always come up with the line "Show your proof". Everyone knows how hard it is to find out who the principals are in an LLC. When a lady had her purse snatched at the Mall, she went to the Security Office. Not wanting her name to appear in the papers, she inquired if the Salisbury Police would be notified. She was told that wouldn't happen because if the 20 or so incidents were accurately reported every week, it would be a detriment to Mall attendance. Don't you just love their logic? I guess they figure the old adage "What you don't know can't hurt you" applies here. It doesn't. It hurts us and the amount of LLC's are hurting us by lining the pockets of some at the expense of others. Hopefully, some day their conscience will hurt them.

Anonymous said...

I had a problem with Joe Carmean as well. He seemed to have no interest in what ultimately became a highly publicized story, no thanks to the daily times or Joe Carmean. Joe Albero was the first to bring the referenced story to the publics attention. I really do not think that the DT wants to do any investagative reporting at all. Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Salisbury News has grown so big the Daily Times is laying off employees like there's no tomorrow.

Uh, really? Is THAT why?

joe albero said...

anonymous 11:22,

Here's the most interesting part about the Joe Carmean story.

Get this! The Salisbury Zoo was promoting that they had over 500 animals in the Zoo. At one point and time they did. However, I was trying to prove that so many animals had died, they were down to 140 animals and ultimately 125 animals.

I kept asking Joe Carmena, (a reporter at the time) to PLEASE go down to the Zoo and in 20 minute simply count the animals at the Zoo. He interviewed Rapp and Rapp continued to stand behind his 500 animal count but NEVER once was the Daily Times willing to walk into the Zoo and count animals. I was delivering them a HOME RUN STORY and they covered it up.

After many calls to the AZA and USDA, the Zoo finally did admit they had far less animals but nothing ever happened to Rapp and the Daily Times IMHO SUCKS! They did NOT want you to know about the dead animals.

Anonymous said...

I only began to read this blog to follow up on a crime related story i couldn't access through the local news. Are we given the cleaner version from corporate news outlets because we live in a city with a college campus so near most of the crime laden areas? It is a disservice to the public as well as those concerned parents sending their kids off to school and away from home for the first time.

Anonymous said...

How come we havent heard anything about the fire person at Station 1 that got a DUI. Was that just missed or is it being kept quiet also?

Anonymous said...

Joe you definately got a good thing going on but come on dude, your blog isn't the reason for layoffs.

Newspapers are laying off all around the country. I don't think your readership is that wide is it?

Keep it real will ya?

Elliott

joe albero said...

Elliott, let me assure you, no, let me guarantee you, Salisbury News does have the visitors today that the Daily Times never dreamed would happen in their worst nightmare. Let me also assure you that because Salisbury News is present, many people have cancelled their subscription to the Daily Times.

They do NOT have to fail. However, because they chose to go the route they have, they will fail and we have already taken over their daily visitors.

Anonymous said...

i used to read the DT online, but then they started that stupid survey thing where you have to stop and enter your zip code and birthdate every time you click on a story. it's just so much easier to skim this blog. and the DT is slow with listing police reports - i'd rather see them right away.

if they had the things i read papers for - real local news, more local profiles, more human interest, mixed in with some current events, i'd read it. but their paper is boring and not worth the effort.

joe albero said...

anonymous 1:36,

DON'T TELL THEM EVERYTHING THAT'S WRONG WITH THEM!

LOL, just kidding. They won't listen anyways.

Anonymous said...

Joe, just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that. I'm sure you've got a good number of readers but to imply that what you're doing here is the cause for subscription cancellations and layoffs is off base, IMHO.

It's a fact that newspaper circulation is down nationwide. With the economy in the shape it is, there is less advertising going on.

I agree the blogs are here to stay but they're not running anyone out of business. Just can't pat you on the back on this one bro.

Have a great afternoon...

Elliott

joe albero said...

Elliott,

We may stand off on this one and agree to disagree but let me say this. The Daily Times lack of informing the Public as to the TRUTH going on daily and locally has been one major blow as to why people are dropping their subscriptions so rapidly. They do have another source to go to regularly that will tell the citizens how it really is and they can agree or disagree openly through comments.

It's simply too easy to say Newspapers Nation Wide are failing. They can create Blogs themselves and the DT has attempted to do so and has failed to achieve anywhere near the audience we have at Salisbury News. I spoke directly with Greg Bassett long ago and he told me the numbers they had and believe me, we've outgrown those numbers in a big way.

I'll add, I don't have to pat myself on the back. There are plenty of other people that write in and call daily to thank us for what we're doing and have done and that's good enough for me. Thanks for the conversation and your view.

Anonymous said...

Joe, agreed. I also think readership is shifting more to a realtime online experience. As example, I used to purchase the Baltimore Sun on a daily basis but don't anymore, simply because I can view it online for free. I applaud the alternative that you provide. I'm obviously stop by 3-4 times a day.

As a piece of constructive criticism if I may: It does get tiresome seeing the posts about all of the record hits and comments. I'd also recommend a little more fact checking before posting something that could possibly harm are defame a person. Please don't take that the wrong way, just thought since I had your ear, I'd bend with a couple of ways to improve.

In closing, when you respond, please publish your mailing address so I can remit my subsription! LOL!

Elliott

joe albero said...

Elliott,

Well said and I will do so. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good banter Joe. Have a fine afternoon!

Elliott

Anonymous said...

And let me comend you Joe for a Blog well done. Just the way I like it !

Anonymous said...

Anon 1:36, I was annoyed with the Daily Times surveys too, so I just put outrageous and bizarre information in each time they ask for it. Like, they've really got a 240 year old man reading their paper. Get creative, the on-line surveys can be entertaining.

Anonymous said...

Joe, you proved nothing about the zoo. The 500 number was used in a brochure for marketing purposes only. If I recall, the zoo stayed accredited and licensed. You just hated Jim Rapp because of Jennifer. Everyone knows that you just did not like Rapp, and you apparently still don't.

That's your problem, you choose to highlight things about people you don't like. You do not treat Debbie Campbell, Jim Ireton, Andy Harris, or Mike Lewis the same as you do your political enemies. You could have just as easily pointed out Brushmiller's community work rather than the court search.

Aren't you still banned from the zoo? When are you going back in?

joe albero said...

anonymous 7:25,

I'm glad you made that comment. It is on record that Rapp tried to claim they had 500 animals. This is one of the reasons they hired 7 Veterinarians to look into why so many animals had died. Sadly, however, they didn't physically go to the Salisbury Zoo and didn't realize that most of the waterfowl were in exhibits and not on the river and didn't realize the avian tb could be controlled. If they would have known this things would have been very different and the Zoo would have lost their accredidation.

As far as Rapp and I go, it was Rapp who didn't like me because I told him I would have fired him in front of his entire Staff after he asked me what I thought about the results/money brought in after the Night of the Living Zoo event. He did NOTHING to market the event and they lost a huge amount of money because of it. I'll add, I told him right then and there that he really didn't want to know what I thought and he insisted I answer the question, so I did and I did it honestly.

As for all the other people you mention, they have never called the Police numerous times on me and lied to the Police, Judges and Commissioners. I still to this day have video proof I never did anything wrong and can in fact prove that I was assaulted by staff at the Zoo and I can also prove, (as Davis Ruark clearly saw) I was being stalked and sought out by Rapp, not the other way around. Now when I make that statement I do so knowing any one of you could call Mr. Ruark and ask him if what I say is true and I know exactly what he would be willing to state and I'm comfortable and confident he would admit from everything he saw I'm telling the truth.

You said, "You could have just as easily pointed out Brushmiller's community work rather than the court search."

First of all, I NEVER said anything about Bryan Brushmiller and his court history. Go back to the post and stop putting words into my mouth. you just lost ALL credibility by doing so because I never once said anything of the sort. Are YOU the one that fed the Daily Times that lie?

As for if I'm still banned from the Zoo, absolutely not. I have been able to go to the zoo at any time I wanted toi about a year ago, maybe less. When will I go back? Well, I guess you'll know that when I'm there, won't you. My job is done at the Zoo and I achieved EVERYTHING I set out to do down there. By the way, where is Jim Rapp, Carrie Samis, Dan Ciancitto, (sp?) and John Jacobs????? Look back at the records and see who I asked the Mayor to remove.

4 for Joe, 0 for the Zoo. Oh, let's not forget Mayor Tilghman, lynn Cathcart and Mike Dunn too. ROTFLMAO!

Anonymous said...

You also just proved that you didn't want to improve the zoo. You just want to believe that Joe Albero got rid of Rapp, Samis, Ciancitto and Jacobs. I thought that they all left for other jobs? Or do you believe that you bullied them and made them leave?

Anonymous said...

Damn Joe, you punched them in the lip with that one! Keep up the good work Joe...

joe albero said...

anonymous 8:28,

Oh, there's no question I'd like to see the Zoo improved. HOWEVER, improving the Zoo does not require multi million dollar buildings. Good management there for starters is far more important. Proving you can keep the animals alive and take care of their surroundings first would be the very first step in gaining the trust from the taxpayers that were lied to during Rapp's time as Director. I do believe in Joel and I certainly hope things continue down a positive path for everyone there. It's VERY refreshing.

As for Rapp, Samis, Jacobs and Ciancitto, you're not kidding anyone here. Everyone knows exactly why they're no longer in their positions. They were a HUGE liability and they're gone. See Ya, have a nice life.

Anonymous said...

MY GOD! You are saying that the Daily Times doesn't tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
When did this start? I thought that the newspaper ALWAYS was there to inform people of all the goings on of the area!
I guess I'll have to cancel my subscription that I had 10 years ago and canceled back then...

Anonymous said...

We also didn't hear about emergency life crisis that had to be called over a week ago to talk out someone who wanted to commit suicide in his home near Bennett school, lest than two blocks away.