Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Who Wants To Play Santa?

Remember the story we posted last year about an elderly woman in a wheel chair who had cash stolen from her purse in K-Mart?

The Polk family, adopted at Christmas by several of us last year, has been having an especially hard time in 2008. They reflect upon a house fire earlier this year with gratitude because the family escaped the fire safely, although all of their possessions were lost. They moved back into their home just before the kids started school this Fall. The Grandmother who has continued to suffer serious illness this year is raising her 3 granddaughters ages 11, 15, and 16.

The notice is late to those of you who might want to pitch in a little for Santa, but pride prevented the grandmother from asking for help sooner. In addition to the things that children like to find under the tree, they could also use personal clothing items (socks, and underwear…you know, the stuff that most kids have a funny look on their faces when they unwrap the box). Their favorite colors might be helpful to know:

The 11 year old likes blue;

The 15 year old pink;

And the 16 year old green.

Mrs. Polk can be reached at 302 Park Ave. in Fruitland or by calling 410-546-4574.

God Bless You & A Merry Christmas To You ALL.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jo,
I am going to help, but will remain anonymous, even when my family delivers to this family , the blessing will be for them and not for us, I have already called Mrs. Polks, what a sweet lady. PEOPLE PLEASE HELP, she is in alot of need, put yourselves in this lady's shoes, trust me the overall feeling that you will have is great.

Anonymous said...

I can't help as much as last year, but this is a nice family. I will be getting a few things for the 11 year old today and dropping them off so that the grandmother can have the joy of placing them under the tree. Anyone else?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I am anonymous 9:05am I meant the overall feeling of helping someone in need is great...

Anonymous said...

This woman is such a sweet person. I helped during the fire and will continue to help now. I know several of her family members who I am proud to call my friends. I hope everyone will find a way to help this family out. It will make you feel so good when you see the joy on her face when you deliver the gifts.

KM

Anonymous said...

I went over on my lunch hour to deliver a few things. What a wonderfully sweet, appreciative lady! They weren't very expensive gifts, but I can assure you I am richer for the visit.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

This is a very kind family. The oldest of the girls helps her great grandmother get ready for the holidays. They are rich in the way that we should all wish for...family ties and love, but that is hard for children to understand at Christmas. I took a little something today and hope that others do too. The real gift will be the one that you receive from lending a hand.