Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

You People Are Just UNBELIEVABLE!


We reached out this month asking for help from Volunteers in two of the busiest locations Salisbury has to offer and quite frankly, you people came through. It was a personal goal to see if we couldn't help the Salvation Army run their campaign without having to hire and pay people to ring the bells and they have NOT hired one individual.

When this came about, I had no idea what to expect and quite frankly I was very concerned because, what if it flopped? What if people weren't willing to volunteer and help out? Was I kidding myself knowing thousands of people come to this Site every day, did they really support us? If not, it meant that I would personally have to be at three locations both day and night. When I exposed Kenny Townsend, and I have to say, I struggled with myself over whether to put it out there or not. I expected the Warden to pull the plug on allowing any Work Release people from helping out and being stubborn and cocky I thought, I'll show them, I'll do it myself if I have to.

Well, thanks to ALL of YOU, I have not had to be out there day and night as often as I thought I might, and what many don't realize, (since we only show the North WalMart and Sam's Club) there have been a TON of volunteers who read Salisbury News and called the Salvation Army to volunteer elsewhere. You have no idea how much so many of you have relieved the Salvation Army. It's simply unbelievable.

I have met thousands of people and I have given out literally thousands of Candy Canes to thousands of smiling children. I have watched those less fortunate than many of us put their last dollar in the bucket and they thank ME for what I'm doing. Go Figure! There isn't a bell ringer out there who doesn't talk about how much they love it when the Parents give the children the money and watch them all excited, put it in the red bucket. If I'm repeating myself on this one, forgive me, it's worth repeating. The other day we were at WalMart and a gentleman walked into WalMart with an entire bag full of coins. It turns out there's a machine inside that will count your change and you can collect your money. However, they take 10% of whatever you put in the machine. This young man was so bothered with the 10%, he came walking right back out of that store and walked right up to us and started putting the coins into the bucket. Mind you, this took quite a while as there was not only a lot of money in that bag, the hole to take the money isn't designed to take such large amounts and it took a lot of shaking on the bucket to get it all in. He said, I'd rather give it to the Salvation Army than pay these people 10%.

Then today while I was at Sam's, another fine young man came up with a baggie full of money and once again we took our time getting it all in the bucket. There are so many cool things that have happened while we've been out there but the biggest thing I've come to notice is just how well received and important Salisbury News is to so many. Young, old, male, female, everyone just loves this Blog. Many have said, you know something Joe, I may not agree with you all the time but I thank you for what you do. As much as this Mayor and Chief of Police try to bring me down, as often as the Anti Albero Bloggers say nasty things about my Wife, our family and even our Grandson, they are only a hand full of people while there are thousands more on the other side and I can't thank you enough for sticking with us thorough the tough times.

It most certainly hasn't been easy and it has cost me a whole lot of money to hire lawyers year after year and defend my Wife, Grandson and myself. However, I wasn't going to fold like so many others had in the past because I am determined to make this place a better place for ALL of us to live in. On a slight personal note. I don't want this to be a better place because JOE wants it that way. I experienced the crap you people were going through and I simply did something everyone else wished they could say and do.

In the end, when I reached out for you to give back, man did you people ever come through! This is why Salisbury News has become so successful. Salisbury News is about YOU. It's not about what the Mayor wants you to think it is. It's not about what our advertisers want you to hear. It's about saving animals. It's about helping a young couple find someone who broke into their home and stole the 6 month olds Christmas Presents. It's about helping a Willards Family get back on their feet after a fire destroyed their home and took their child's life. It's about a young man who lost his life to cancer in Pittsville who touched so many hearts and lives. It's about the Salvation Army feeding some 9,000 Families locally at Christmas time and making sure thousands of people have a decent Christmas. It's also about networking with thousands upon thousands of great people from this great Eastern Shore and bringing back what many of us grew up with to start with, faith in one and other.

You better believe we're a group of people who are to be feared. We're feared by Politicians who feed us a line of crap and we're not going to take it any more because we want our communities back. While we're putting our foot down and finally moving in the right direction, we're also networking together to help people in need. The Dirty Dozen started backing and supporting people who were being attacked and even some who were being threatened with their jobs and after hiring attorneys the pressure disappeared.

So while I thank so many of you and regretfully not share ALL of the wonderful people and situations we've covered over the past three years, you get the idea. It's important for all of you to realize that you've actually been helping yourselves. By supporting Salisbury News YOU have become a part of a larger force than the old citizenry the Mayor and so many others steam rolled for so many years. If we continue to support and work with one and other we're going to have what we want. Hopefully that's an open and honest lifestyle that creates a beautiful place for all of us to raise our children. A place we can once again be proud of. We may not be able to control Congress or certain Bailouts but I'll be damned if we can't control what we have right here in the Salisbury area and throughout Wicomico County.

During the national election I admit we supported and promoted the Republican ticket. Some of you loved it, many of you didn't. I heard you when you requested we put up both sides, it took time to find a democrat that would do it. Enter Two Sentz. He promotes what he calls the Blue Truth, he believes in his party and the candidates they put up. Can't fault anyone for that. So now we have both sides of the political coin. He has suffered the writings of the Anti Alberos for contributing to Sbynews. He has held his ground, this speaks volumes about the man. We may not agree but we do agree people have the right to know and make informed decisions.

We heard you when you asked for Classifieds. We heard you when you asked for the history of this area. Just because we don't act as quickly as we'd all like doesn't mean we don't hear you. It takes time to find good people to contribute to a site such as this. This site is about ALL OF US, democrats, republicans, independents and even anarchists. Thanks to all of you for your support all of these years. It hasn't been easy for any of us. We know it hasn't been easy to see the truth out there for everyone to see through our photos or read in our writings. Believe me, it hasn't been easy for me either. I couldn't believe it was as bad as people kept telling me it was until I saw and experienced it for myself. Now that Barrie Tilghman is giving up the throne we can work together at making this the community many of you have come here to enjoy, been here and remember how good it was, most of all we'll all stay here and enjoy the fruits of our labor. Does this mean things will quiet down at Sbynews? When the wrong doings come to an end, we'll quiet down...maybe. LOL

In closing, there's a bunch of news that will come forward in the next few days referencing the Salvation Army I am extremely confident ALL of you will be proud of. More to come.........

Oh, if you'd like to fill in any of the recently opened shifts above that would be great. If not, come see me at these locations and bring the kids for a free Candy Cane, a warm hello and a handshake. There may be a slot open at Michael's tomorrow from 12:00 to 6:00 PM if anyone is interested. I want to wish ALL of you a Very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. My sincere thanks to so many of you who have helped the Salvation Army this year by volunteering and or donating. Trust me, YOU have made an incredible difference. You'll see.

UPDATE: Our Friend Kerry Windsor has asked to take the open slot on Christmas Eve from 12:00 to 1:00 at WalMart Grocery. That means there's only ONE slot left open ad that's TODAY from 12:00 to 2:00 at the same location.

UPDATE #2: The final open slot at WalMart Grocery from 12 - 2 today has been filled by Bryan Records of the Salisbury Fire Department. This means every single slot has been filled once again. Keep in mind though, some people could still call in and not be able to fulfill their shift. You can always call as a back up at 410-749-7771 ext. 100. THANK YOU!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lawd my toes got numb last night. Do yourself a favor and go to hunting department and get these pads called "Toasti Toes" $1.50 a pair, they stick to the bottom of your sox and heat up to 6 hours. Got some for tonight, wish I had them last night ; )

Anonymous said...

wow joe... u now make sby feel like a safe place at night!

Anonymous said...

Anon 929 you could have saved yourself that $1.50 by putting on a pair of your wife's knee high hose under your socks. Panty hose were good enough for ole Broadway Joe Namath to keep him warm, they are good enough for our military so save yourself a few bucks and raid that lingerie drawer. It really does work, just ask around.

Anon 1002 Sby will be a safe place at night once we institute a County wide police agency with Mike Lewis at the helm. Better days are coming or I should say safer days are coming in about 118 more days.

Anonymous said...

Joe...you are the unbelievable one!!! You have made the REAL news available to us and I for one, appreciate it. You have a big heart and it shines through. Thank you so much for what you are doing. We WILL take our town and county back, little by little. I for one, and standing right beside you in this quest. I would like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday season...even the anti-Albero bloggers. No one totally agrees with things posted on here, but they have to admit that they are much more "educated" on the happenings in this town, now, than before you started this blog three years ago.

Chimera said...

I think its awesome to see the number of younger people involved in the kettle campaign this year. Today in Kmart there were two young boys with their Dad and I made a point of thanking them. Last weekend in Crisfield there were girls from Holly Grove Christian School ringing bells.Instead of sleeping in or hanging out doing nothing, they are helping others.

Anonymous said...

JOe I almost could hear music when I was reading your note. I had the pleasure of ringing the bell last night for 3 hours. What made it worth it were the smiles & the children. ONe young man who was shopping with his grandparents,even came out and had a long conversation with us and told us about what to look for in winter clothes so we will be warm next year. I hope Santa brings him the cell phone he really wants. His parents are to be commended for raising this wonderful young man. Many came back after shopping at Sams and some even stopped thier car and put money in. Before I arrived at my spot I had texted all my friends and told them where I was and what I was doing and I invited them to drive by and fill the red bucket. It worked! Thank you to all my wonderful friends!

Moon Willow said...

Merry Christmas to you, Joe, and to your family.