Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year Joe Albero From Sam's Club

While this is a long Post, it's well worth the time if YOU have a Business Account at Sam's Club and other locations including WalMart.

Boy, have I got a story for you that you're just not going to believe. Just when I thought I had told some of the best stuff ever heard, in comes a new one that just boggles the mind.

OK, I have been a Member of Sam's Club ever since the first day they opened their Annapolis Store. Over the years of doing business with them I held a Credit Limit of $2,500.00 for a lot of years. One thing I will tell you is when you own a Restaurant and Pool Halls, it didn't take long to ring up $2,500.00 worth of stuff at Sam's. Nevertheless, that is the limit I said I would go and that's what I did.

OK, so every month I would receive my Sam's Club bill and I would always pay off the balance. Without my even knowing and without any notice whatsoever, my credit limit was dropped down to $1,500.00 and I didn't even know it. So, believe it or not, I would usually have a monthly bill of somewhere close to that $1,500.00 and again it would always be paid off monthly.

Over the past few months I would go to use my Sam's Club Card to purchase gas and sometimes it would deny me? I started thinking, am I paying them slow? I didn't think so but nevertheless, since my Wife regularly relied on using that Card for Gas and other items around the house I would go home, write a check for $1,000.00 and go back up to Sam's and clear up our line of credit. I'd then go out and pump my gas and feel comfortable everyone was good to go.

Well, I have to be the first to admit that each and every month I'd give my Wife a hard time because the Sam's Club balance was always up there and since I wasn't in there buying things all the time, this was a lot, (in my mind) to be blowing in Sam's. Little did I know that they had now reduced my Credit Limit to $900.00 without my ever knowing it. You see, these Credit Companies DON'T like people who pay off their balances every month!

So Get This! A couple of weeks ago I had received a bill from Sam's Club and I took a check to the Store and paid it off right then and there. I owed Sam's Club NOTHING! The next thing I knew my Wife called me that evening and said there was something wrong with my account at Sam's Club. I said, what do you mean? She replied, I just went to charge $140.00 worth of stuff on my Card and they denied me. I said, that's impossible, I just paid off the entire balance the other day. She informed me that she had contacted the credit company and they said I only had $16.00 credit left on the account! She then also informed me that I only had a $900.00 credit limit on the card too.

Well, the $900.00 credit limit wasn't right but I thought, that's cool. This way no one can charge more than $900.00 a month on the card. I asked her if she explained how we had just come into the store and paid off the balance? Yes. Now keep in mind Folks, it's Christmas time and I simply figured my Wife had run up the account again SO I went back up to Sam's with another check for $900.00 I figured that would clear things up. When I spoke with Sam's Club while I was in there paying the bill they too hooked me up with their credit company and they explained what they had already told my Wife the day before. I shrugged it off and went on my merry way.

TONIGHT, we went up to Sam's Club again to get some dog food and so forth and we only had about $40.00 worth of stuff and I said, charge it. She attempted to do so but out of nowhere it came back rejected! I said, THAT'S IT, I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP. I went over to Customer Service after paying cash for my items and I got everyone to listen to my story about what I had been experiencing. I just knew someone else had been charging to my account. So they called the credit company and explained how they absolutely knew I had been in there several times paying off my card in the past couple of weeks and the next thing I knew they were handing me to phone to explain. WAIT TILL YOU HEAR THIS BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE IT!

The Lady on the phone said, Sir, we are in receipt of your payments and you have overpaid on your account. I said, yeah, hello! I then said, would you like to explain how I have OVERPAID on my account, yet they're rejecting me for $40.00 worth of items? She replied, whenever you pay more than ONCE in one billing cycle, your account gets PUT ON HOLD for 8 days!!!!!! I said, WHAT? You have MY MONEY, I have OVERPAID on this account, all the while thinking and giving my Wife a hard time because she allegedly kept spending money on the account in which I knew I hadn't, all the while you put a hold for at least 16 days on my account because I had paid more than once in one month? YES SIR, that's our NEW POLICY!

I repeated everything she was saying to me so the three people, (including the manager) could hear me. They were all standing there saying, Uh UH! I said, would you mind explaining to the Manager exactly what you're telling me because this is illegal. You can't hold my money for 8 days, then 16 days and then a full month because I paid you more than once in a month! The Manager got on the phone and repeated what I said, word for word and she then freaked out! She said, have YOU told ALL of our business partners of this NEW RULE? The obvious answer was, NO. Would you like me to send this Customer something in the mail? She said, NO! She then said, you made this change and didn't inform Sam's Club? We have customers using a Business Account every week and paying it off the next time they come in. This is completely WRONG!

Now Sam's Club wanted to push it off saying, it's NOT US, it's the Credit Company. HELLO! In one breath I'm a business partner and in the next they're not responsible. I over pay on my account thinking we've maxed out our account and in GOOD FAITH I pay additional funds to make sure everything is cleared, all the while they're taking my EXTRA cash, pocketing it and then penalizing me for paying more than once in a billing cycle. I'm sorry Folks but this is absolutely crazy and more than likely VERY illegal. So I said to the Manager who was still on the phone with the credit company, when can I start charging on my account again to get back all the extra money we paid into the account. She replied, January 1, 2009. Happy New Year Joe from Sam's Club!

People with good credit get screwed because we pay on time or early and we pay off the balance every month. I'm sorry Folks but America Sucks any more! This is what I mean by NO ONE is regulated! There's so much crap going on in America with BILLIONS floating to companies unaccounted for and companies like the credit company at Sam's figures, what are you going to do about it, it's a new policy! How about I take my business elsewhere, that's what! The people at Sam's Club were not only pissed off, they too were floored by what they were hearing. One of the people standing there had seen me come into the store the last 4 times I had brought in checks and knew I was paying on the account. When I came up to the counter she just knew something had to be wrong because I was there for the third time now complaining.

I'm sorry for the long Post Folks but YOU deserve to know this. This is a NEW POLICY at Sam's Club. No one there until today was aware of this situation and or new policy and they were not happy campers! I hope Corporate is reading this message and comes down on the credit company in a BIG WAY. I will send this Post directly to them so they know it has been posted and viewed by thousands of people because I was never warned, nor were they!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would tell you to try the new BJ's in Millsboro but we went up there the other day and I was NOT impressed by anything in there. Most of their prices were more than Sams.

Anonymous said...

Have you been to BJ's in Millsboro? They carry about the same stuff and you pay no tax there.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I ran into the same problem with my WalMart card. I pay my bill off every month. I had a credit limit of 2,600.00 and usually spent an average of 12-14 hundred a month with them between Sam's and Walmart. The day the bill came in I would write a check for the balance and send it off. GE Money Bank owns the card and sent me a letter two months ago that they have reduced my credit limit to a whopping $180.00 because they felt I may be too much of a risk in these hard times. I called them up and asked how in the world I was a risk if I paid my bill in full every time it came in and the woman on the other end stated she could not answer that question. I politely told her that if they thought I was only worth $180.00 a month then I would not be back. Yes I could pay cash or even my Debit card but this is not about what method I choose to pay for my items with. Better prices or not both outlets have lost my business. I now buy my groceries at Food Lion and shop all other local outlets for my business needs. If they feel that I am that much of a liability then I will make sure I owe them nothing if they close up because no one is buying.

Sorry for the long post but I thought I was the only one with this situation till now. RH

Dave C said...

Joe, it sounds like you need to watch the "High Cost of Low Price" documentary if you haven't already. Everybody should go out and rent it-I know netflix has it, not too sure about Blockbuster. But for those of you who have yet to see it, it is an incredible documentary of how Walmart/Sam's Club come to places such as Salisbury and screw the smaller local business owners! But now, Joe, you could probably assist with the sequel - "Walmart, the poor credit you get from paying early" It truely is a shame-corporate America......

Anonymous said...

Thanks for information , we pay our credit card bill the same way.
Who the hell thinks up the stupid ideas? The country wanted change , lets see what this change consist
of.(we are in deep sh!t)

Moon Willow said...

That's nuts! You're being punished for paying your bill? Crazy.

Anonymous said...

Yes, during the Bush administration, credit card companies were given free legal rein to devise any and all means to bilk the public. As people in credit card debt scraped together funds and tried to make more than one payment a month to reduce penalties, something had to be done to prevent them from being successful. So the idea came to stop activity on the card. If activity on the card was frozen, perhaps the person would not be able to pay cash as Joe did. Since many people use credit cards to pay for medical expenses and prescriptions, the person might have to get another credit card which would be even worse for the consumer but great for the credit card companies. Maybe Sam's Club will stop this practice, but it is legal and is somewhere in the fine print of the credit card agreement.
Another lesson--if a woman is smart enough to attract a man known for his brilliance, she just might have enough sense to know if she's charging things on a credit card.

Anonymous said...

Now Joe, the real story is that you did not end up paying Sam's Club enough money and that's why this happened. See, EVERY CENT of an finance charge is FREE MONEY for the credit card company and the company that isssues it, in this case Sam's Club. So by paying off your account every time you got a bill, you "lost" them their interest and their "free" money.
This is one reason why I advocate against store credit cards. While I am well aware that you get extra little coupons and "bonus" deals, the actual cost is just too high. Those 7 little credit cards with their $250, $500, or $2000 limits can screw you backwards if you're not on top of them.

joe albero said...

Anonymous 8:53, you're wrong! It is illegal to hold any ones money, especially a check longer than 24 hours. Secondly, THEY JUST CHANGED THIS POLICE, SO HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED AND OR LEGAL? SAM'S CLUB DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT IT! Come on now, stop talking BS and get your facts straight.

joe albero said...

POLICY, SORRY

Anonymous said...

I've got a couple points to make.

I know for a fact that companies now (not saying this is Sam's direction) are reducing credit limits because of the tough economical times. It is easier to lower the limit and not worry about the money they aren't getting back fast enough. I know a lot of people that have received letters in the mail regarding lowering limits, and all are giving the same explanations. People are charging faster than they are paying, so that can be tough on a company.

As for your issue. That isn't right for any holds to be made, but why overpay your account? It seems to be nothing but trouble when credits are issues. You couldn't have just gotten your balance, and raised your concerns then (assuming it would be $0)?

Anonymous said...

8:53 is correct. In most credit card agreements, there is a vague statement that the credit card company "owns" the card and can change interest, credit terms and other "conditions of use" at their discretion. Laws that apply to how long banks can hold funds DO NOT apply to credit card companies.

Anonymous said...

Joe, 8:53 is at least on the right track.

I paid off a credit card and guess what? They closed my account, after umpteen years. I was a "risk" to them. Funny. They didn't think I was a risk while I was carrying the balance.

A few years ago, when they changed the bankruptcy law, they also gave credit card companies the right to charge usury interest, up into the mid-30 percentages.

Paid off, my card wasn't any good to them as an interest cash cow, so they cut me off!

Illegal to hold your money more than 24 hours? No such law I know of. I overpaid a credit card and it took two weeks to get it refunded.

The banks were making money on the "float"...extended days for the "float," another gift of that bankruptcy law change I believe.

People need to a) be ready to bend over economically, and b) contact their reps and senators and raise holy stinking hell over that bankruptcy law that granted these s.o.b. companies the right to gouge and screw, make billions, then cry for a bailout from the folks they screwed.

Anonymous said...

I have had a credit card w/ sams for many years 7500 limit. still 7500 but i will keep a close watch.
always pay balance in full. at the gas pump i use my member card for member price then use my chase card w/ 3% cash back. it adds up

Anonymous said...

Read your credit card agreements. In mine, under "How We Allocate Your Payments," the statement is simple: "We will allocate your payments in the manner we determine." Anyone doubt how much power these companies have?
Yes, the new bankruptcy laws passed by Congress about five years ago gave credit card companies everything they asked for.

joe albero said...

I need to add a little something here. The other KEY POINT here is that a corporation is HOLDING my checks for 8 days EACH, simply because I payed more than once during a billing cycle. That's illegal. I don't care what all of you say about fine print. There are federal laws against holding checks, period. They're collecting interest on each and every one of us for 8 days each and that's bull crap.

Mardela said...

Do you think it will get any better? Joe Biden is a big part of the problem. Delaware is a credit capital and Biden is the reason there isn't any tough regulation for the credit companies.

Anonymous said...

The sick little thrill this gave me is childish I quess, but I been saying it all along. Maybe Sams and Mal-Mart will do the right thing about this new policy, maybe they wont. Concentrated Capitalism everywhere you look. Theres a defference between responsible capitalism and a profit versus pure greed.

Anonymous said...

When America comes to realize that laws about credit, interest rates, holding payments, etc., do not apply to credit card companies, change might happen. Credit card companies have agreed to post your payment (singular) within a certain number of days of its (singular) being received by their company. ONE PAYMENT PER MONTH PER ACCOUNT is what they have agreed to post. They posted one payment which meets their contractual obligation to you. At no point were you told that SEVERAL PAYMENTS TO THE SAME ACCOUNT IN THE SAME MONTH WILL BE POSTED IN A TIMELY MANNER. Of course, it's bull crap but it's bull crap our representatives and senators have made legal.

Anonymous said...

Well just so you know it's just not Sam's bank. I run about $30,000-$40,000 through Amex every month, it's paid off every month, never been late. Been a member since 2003. I went to make a $6000 purchase for my business and it was declined so I call them and my account was changed from being "unlimited credit limit" to a $17,000 credit limit!? What did I do to deserve this? It is very hard for me to run my business like this since single orders are $5000-7500 usually. At the moment, I'm just making frequent online payments to keep the credit line open, but it impacts my business because now I don't have the normal 20 days of float, it's more like 3 or 4 days.

R. Budd Dwyer's .357 said...

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the credit "crunch". Recently I paid off my credit card debt with a consolidation loan. One of my accounts was with MBNA and the other with Discover. They both got their payments 4 days before the due date. Discover sent be a letter congratulating me on paying off my balance. MBNA's card had a remaining balance of $300.00 and my minimum payment was $189.00, WTF? When I was running a $11,000 bill my minimum payment was $305.00. So I called and they came up with some scheme that it was 160 worth of finance charges and the rest was the minimum. On top of that they moved my due date up 2 weeks, again when questioned they did the duh routine again. I've have had this card for 15 years, and I feel like they're about to dump me. These card companies HATE when you pay off the balance or pay more than the minimum. Plus in theory your credit score should rise when you pay off your debt, but with the Card Companies cutting your credit line it cause your credit score to go down. These bankers want us to keep on being a slave race

Daddio said...

I stopped using my Sam's club credit card a couple years ago. I have a Shell MasterCard that gives me a 1 percent rebate (in the form of free gas) on all purchases from other merchants.

If I spend $1000 a month at Sam's, that translates into $10 free gas at Shell, for doing nothing other than using the MasterCard instead of the Sam's credit card.

IF I buy gas at Sam's, I'll use my Chase Visa, (which pays 3% cash back) instead of the Sam's card. But most of the time, I buy gas elsewhere, as I get a 5% rebate on most gas purchases these days.

As for paying my cards off, I have been doing that for years now, with them all paying me in the form of rewards for using their cards. Sort of like reverse interest.

So far, none of them have reduced my credit limits, and they are sizable.

Anonymous said...

What a FUM in my humble opinion.

I'm glad to know all of this because I'll stay away from opening any type of account with Sams.

They always seemed kind of screwed up . . . but this just reaffirms my initial impression.