Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 29, 2008

Heres Why I Haven't Been Blogging


Billy and I have a big auction in Jackson Hole, Wyoming in September, and we are sponsors of the Jackson Hole Fall Arts Festival. This sponsorship requires us to place banners promoting the event, while also being able to plug our event, in front of 36 participating Art Galleries in Jackson Hole.
Previous sponsors had silk screened duck cloth banners mass produced and hung, but the galleries nor the chamber really liked them. I decided I would go with something completely different. Cow Hide! Billy found an Auctioneer in the Midwest that was liquidating a gun holster factory, and we bought 37 of them. I am using the entire shoulder (which ways close to 20lbs). I designed several stencils and had them made and have spent the last week in production.
For those of you who have never been to Jackson, it is about 30 miles south of Yellowstone and the entire town has an 'Old West' theme that is carried continuously in everything. All buildings are either brick or log, the sidewalks are wood plank and the town square has four Elk Antler Arches surrounding the square. With this in mind I wanted to create a truly unique piece that would fit with surroundings but also last for years to come.
So here's my design, and this is what I have been doing. Thirty six of them! All by hand individually made with the extra added touch of a little gold leafing.
At this point I don't know whether I will be able to blog again, as my hand are sooo stiff, I can barely type.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a small world! I was born and raised in Sheridan, WY and just recently (a little over a year) moved to salisbury. It is awesome to see the good ol Wyoming buckin horse. :-) Your design looks great!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, Looks great! Hope you have nuch success!

Wymzie said...

Thanks 10:13!

We did a cross country road trip 4 years ago and and visited for the first time. Now we go back year after year and have expanded the business, so that we can get paid to go.
It is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I can't get enough of it!

Although, we haven't done winter there yet...we have been told by the folks who live there to keep the house at the beach, just in case!

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, what route do you take? Jackson is a great destination, but there are some great stops along the way. Maybe I am a little biased because I am from Sheridan, but it really is a beautiful town, and Cody is another great "old west" town to stop in. Winters can be pretty extreme. But it's a great excuse to huddle close to a nice warm fire with someone :-)

Wymzie said...

Our second favorite town is Deadwood, SD so we usually go that route. I love Dead Indian Pass outside of Soda Butte Montana, as a matter of fact that is where my profile pic is taken. Seeing that entails leaving Yellowstone from the East Gate, and then we usually come down into Cody and across through Sheridan. The Big Horn Canyon Drive is auwsome!

This time however, we are going to take Rt. 50 and head up the Eastern slope as I want to see Thermopolis.
I read about some great Inns there with the hot springs.