Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, July 07, 2008

You Make The Call?

Hi Joe!

I have been reading your blog for about a month or so now and love it! I live in Delmar, De. but still find it interesting!

Anyway, thought I'd see if you knew the answer to this question at the end. This morning I was sitting in the Lowes parking lot while my husband went in to get a spark plug for his mower. I sat in the van and watched a well dressed clean cut young man come out with a cart full of rolls of wire, probably 10 or more rolls. He started putting it in the trunk of his plain looking grey family sedan when all of a sudden he started throwing all he had put in back out into the parking lot, left the cart full of rolls there and squealed off, running over one of the rolls. I could not figure out what in the word he was doing and then saw 4 employees rushing out of the building into the lot. Figured something was up so I took this guys tag number just in case. He was gone then and the employees were picking up rolls and taking them back into store. Come to find out he was stealing them. Hubby estimated there was about $700 worth of copper wire there and that the guy could sell it for money. I've heard of people stealing the copper wires from air conditioning systems, etc. But this guy was really bold or stupid! I'm wondering if you know if , since he didn't actually get away with it, can the police run his tags and arrest him for anything? I made sure the employees had the tag number. 6ASP96

I know you get a lot of mail so thank you for taking the time to do all you do!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. He can still be arrested and easily convicted of theft. I can you refer to a recent press release on this sight where three subjects were arrested. This type of theft is getting out of hand on the shore, and everywhere else.
Great observation and thank you for caring.

Anonymous said...

seriously doubt if Lowe's will prosecute.

Anonymous said...

Best that Lowes dose procecute, or they will be plagued with such theft all the time now. This guy is a prime prospect for procecution and good that the lady got his plate number. Kinda a "white collar" crime, yes?!

A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

i suggest going to tru-arc for any lawnmower needs. these guys usually have it all in stock, and their expertize is insurpassed. they are a local company, not a corporate chain. this is a great little store.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, concerned citizen for reporting this and Joe for posting it. We need MORE involvement like this.

Anonymous said...

Sam Mitchell on Snow Hill rd (shop is on Right, South of Old Fruitland Rd) does great lawn mower work also.

Anonymous said...

Talk about being robbed. The scrappers should go get the scrap metal out of the dumpsters at the old st 16. There are bicycle frames. It looks like they threw away all the trophies that were won years ago. The trophies alone could be recycled and used at the fire muster in Pocomoke. what a waste. What a waste.

Anonymous said...

So, WHO is this crook. Does anybody know? Posting names is a great deterrent to crime.
If Lowes does not prosecute, then the cost gets passed on to you and I, the consumer.

Anonymous said...

one of my employs is workin around the shop today and on the way here he noticed that all the ground wires, and cable wires on the poles has been cut out about as high as a person could reach. hes a pretty perceptive guy, that why he works for me.
oh, providence church rd,de.

Anonymous said...

11:03 is right! Sam Mitchell is the best and most honest around!

Chimera said...

These copper thieves are f*cking MORONS! Do they realize how DEADLY it is to strip wirig from LIVE electrical equipment and poles?When I hear about a substation being stripped I shake my head and think about the natural selection theory.
and furthermore,WHY exactly is copper so high now???

Tim Chaney said...

Hell I just took some old aluminum guttering and flashing to the scrap yard after my roof job. Aluminum was going at .73 cents a pound and I had two pounds of scrap copper that came off of the roof and got $4.50 just for that, so copper must be $2.25 a pound. A few pounds and you have a cheap 5th of Vodka.

At least I got $31.70 that helped pay for my gas taking 2.67 tons of shingles to the landfill at $55 a ton! Where was code and compliance when they allowed the old owners to apply a third layer of shingles?

By the time I picked the shingles up and put them in the truck, then had to pick them up and throw them out of the truck making 10,000 pounds of shingles I handled. If I didn't have a heart attack June 27 and 28 out in that heat all day, heck I may just be around a while yet!

Anonymous said...

I saw two guys sitting on their front stoop stripping wire right on Fitzwater St. All that traffic over there, cops even travel that road and no one noticed that big pile of wire...imagine that.