Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, July 28, 2008

Ron Alessi To Step Down As President Of The Salisbury Zoo Commission


There's all around good news coming from the Salisbury Zoo recently. I ran into Mr. Ron Alessi at the Shorebirds Game the other night in support of Andy Harris. I was able to take a few minutes and have a nice conversation with Ron where he flat out told me he's getting ready to resign as President of the Zoo Commission. When I asked why, he simply replied he was getting too old and it was time for a change.

Mr. Alessi was also kind enough to give me an exclusive by adding the Zoo has in fact hired a new Education Director but with everything going on that evening the name slipped him. I do know that her Husband is teaching Golf at UMES and they recently moved to the area. Ron sounded VERY pleased with this opportunity and from what I saw through his expressions, I'd have to agree. Besides, anyone, (no disrespect to the new person filling that position) is going to be 99.9% better than Carrie Samis, that's for sure.

Ladies & Gentlemen, the empire is crumbling little by little. Mr. Alessi has spent so many years at the realm dedicating his free time, one can only say thank you. I may not agree with his past or style but one can't deny his dedication and love for the Salisbury Zoo.

In closing, I'm sure you'll read about this in the months to come in the Daily Times?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Alessi,
Thanks for all your time and effort; you've paid your dues.
Thanks for stepping down.
It's the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Thank you for taking the high road and being an upstanding journalist with this article. YOu kept it upbeat and positive with plenty of encouragement to the new person coming on board. Nice! Maybe our Zoo will pull itself up from the trenches with some new ideas and fresh faces....let's all hope!

countrygirl@heart

Anonymous said...

It is time our city soon heals and moves on. Things are going to get worse before they get better, the entire country is in the same boat.

Now I'm wondering if he plans on running for mayor, does he live in city limits? please tell me no.

Anonymous said...

He lives in West Nithsdale, same neighborhood as Lore (I want more money) Chambers.

It's good he stepped down. I hope the new appointee will NOT be lead by the way things used to be done. It's easy to fall into that trap.

Anonymous said...

Joe:

If "RINO Ron" is a Harris supporter, too, I can't vote for him.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your time and thank you for stepping down. I will pray for someone who can turn this zoo around and bring it back to the glory it once knew. I remember the zoo when it was full of animals and enjoyable, and I want to see it return to the same.

Anonymous said...

the zoo is a joke and a un-needed expense to the tax payer. shut it down and be done with it.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere there's a tugboat owner saying "I told you so".

Anonymous said...

I disagree with D.Wilkerson completely. My family and I have enjoyed the zoo inmensely. Yes, no
doubt, it needs several repairs but
the folks from out of town that I
have taken to the park & zoo were
very impressed. Lets give the new director a chance to improve things.

Anonymous said...

Oh good! I have been waiting for this to happen for years. But, Joe, what will Ron do for lunch onthose zoo meeting days, where they had lunch materials bought I suppose with the donated money (given for the animals).

A. Goetz

Anonymous said...

doug wilkerson said...
the zoo is a joke and a un-needed expense to the tax payer. shut it down and be done with it.

10:11 AM

I have to agree with you doug, for the first time in a long time. The Zoo needs to be shut down and allow that area to be filled back in with wates as it is supposed to be.

If for some reason the city decides to keep the Zoo then I would like to see them move it to high ground. The city park also needs to be moved to somewhere diffierent and allow nature to take its course. release the dams and let the water flow.

The zoo is nothig but a burden on the tax payers.