Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 20, 2008

A VIEW FROM THE WEST: Is Anyone Impressed?

It has been about a month since Baltimore Sun Columnist Dan Rodricks took over the midday slot for Dan Rodricks on WYPR. This is the station that you guys can hear on 106.9FM. Your Public Radio Corporation asked us to give them a chance to show that they can do something better than they guy they threw out of the building, Marc Steiner. So I have to ask…are you impressed with him, because I surely am not.

I happen to tune in one day. The topic of hour one was Wal-Mart. Yeah, I’m sorry that story was real hot…in 2006. The second hour was about grammar…it was National Grammar Day when I listened (I did not know there was such a thing.) The replacement show does not have any teeth and has been dealing with mostly magazine type stuff. This observation is based on what I read on their website on what aired that day.

In short, there has not been any vast improvement of Steiner’s show…as a matter of fact, Marc Steiner was way better and Rodricks cannot hold a candle to him at this point. WYPR’s management said that they wanted a show that addressed the issues of Marylanders, not just Baltimoreans. I don’t think National Grammar Day is a hard-hitting issue, involving Marylanders. I personally don’t care about what happens with a discarded cell phone. I would home that most people would donate them to organizations that fix them up and give them to people in need. And let me tell you the difference between 1908 and 2008…you are reading this post written by a black guy….need I go further?

But that’s just me, what do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep'um honest Kenny

Michael Swartz said...

That station goes from an outlet for alternative and local music to commentary like that. Sheesh, what a waste.

Anonymous said...

Umm, we lost our alternative station three years ago...I don't wanna hear it.