Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 15, 2008

Extended Voting Hours





While most of you were on the Eastern Shore taking it easy last Tuesday night, many people coming from Annapolis sat in traffic for 4 hours because a tractor trailer wrecked on the Severn River Bridge. This completely closed the Bridge down and a Judge decided to extend the voting hours by 1 1/2 hours.

Although many seemed to be outraged that their was an extension, I personally thought it was fantastic. In the end, (I thought this was so cool) 9,441 Voters voted AFTER 8:00 PM and to me, that's what makes America great! A Judge with great wisdom opened the polls for an extended period and I can personally tell you that I stood out in that cold outdoors watching people pull in, one after the other, sometimes 2, 3 & 4 cars at a time to get in after hours voting.

They would walk up to us outside and say, "Are we too late?" Andy Harris got the news they were extending the hours and he immediately said, "Let's get out there and get some more votes." Hence the photos above. When I started making calls while heading to this location, friends were telling me, that's why this guy Harris is going to win.

Well it certainly paid off and while some polls had no one come in after hours, almost 10,000 people got their chance to do what America was based on, they got to vote after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not believe the grapevine comments begrudging people the right to vote --so what you got up early to go vote, your grandfathers or fathers generation fought WW2 so you have the privilege of doing so. What a bunch of whiny entitled people we have become.

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, voting is not a right, it is a privilege.

LadyLibertarian said...

Just for the record, it is a right and a privilege. Check the 15th, 19th, 24th and 27th amendments to the Constitution. I've been teaching this to my students for nearly 3 years. I wonder, did you pass civics?