Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Are You Smokers F/N Nuts?

$6.00 to $7.00 a Pack? Are you just flat out stupid? Come on now! Here's what I want everyone to start thinking in the back of their head every time they see someone smoking a cigarette.

That's a Loser! That's someone who has absolutely NO CONTROL. That's someone that has nothing but excuses. I want cigarette smokers to realize that everyone flat out thinks they're stupid BECAUSE THEY ARE!

You see Folks, I smoked for many, many years. Too many to mention. However, even though I can easily afford to smoke cigarettes, once the prices started going through the roof, I QUIT! Heck, that's back when cigarettes were $20.00 a carton and that was crazy! Now it's $50.00 a carton or more and some of you are actually paying it.

So the Governor raised the sales tax today. Then they raised the cigarette tax. Gas prices are through the roof and mortgages are failing like there's no tomorrow but no one will admit we're in a depression? Can someone just open a Soup Line and get it over with, please?

Oh, then try getting a job in the Salisbury area for more than $6.00 an hour. Delaware is one fine State, let me tell you. At least they have compassion and all Maryland has to do is start copying their pattern, (it's NOT against the law for them to do so) and learn from a State that has NO Sales Tax and 1/4 of the Property Taxes. Again, please do tell me what you get in Wicomico County I can't get in Sussex County and also remember this, I can drive there in 2 miles and get your services for FREE. Funny part is, Marylanders have been coming to Delaware for its free services for years. We have the best of both worlds.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when...
Delaware copied Maryland? Not that too long ago.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but DE is just plain ugly. Ugly scenery, ugly buildings, and terrible drivers. I'll stay on this side of the line!

Anonymous said...

I lived on the Delaware side of Delmar for years. Approximately 4 yrs ago I moved to the Maryland side. Wow what a mistake. I am desprately trying to find property on the Delaware side again. I agree with Joe.

Anonymous said...

LETS SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET CHEAPER THAN A CARTON OF CIGS. CASE OF BEER . DONT SEE MANY PEOPLE GETTING DUI SMOKING. BUT THAN AND AGAIN MARYLAND MAKES 5000.$ PER DUI. QUARTER GAG OF WEED 35.00 CARTON OF CIGS. 45.00-50.00. FUCKED UP WORLD WE LIVE IN.

Chimera said...

Yep I am one of those nuts-but I have cut down drastically and have my husband buy cigs in DE for me.
But as the last comment stated,its damn pathetic when illegal drugs are cheaper than the legal shit.Why do you ask?Cuz the governments got their hands in the till.

Anonymous said...

8:56 A quarter bag of weed for $35 ????Maybe in 1998 not 2008

Anonymous said...

6 PACK OF BUSH BEER 2.98 + TAX PACK OF CIGS. 4.64 + TAX IT,S HORRIBLE

Anonymous said...

Maybe they raised taxes so we can hire more State Troopers at 50-60k a year to stand on the side of the road and hand out speeding tickets.

Anonymous said...

The starting salary for a Maryland State Trooper is $40,185.00 not 50-60K.

Chimera said...

Millsie-you made me laugh my butt off at that one.It ain't that far from the truth either-maybe O'Malley will use the extra cigarette money to beef up his state trooper security detail.

Anonymous said...

Well I just quit and I will be the first to tell you, it's not easy and it's not pleasant. I'm fit to be tied and unbearable. It's so bad, I don't even want to be around myself.

Why do the dope addicts get methadone and we nicotine addicts get nada? Forget the patch, it doesn't work. The gum...doesn't work. I'm not taking any pills that will alter brain functions, so forget that. I just hope my family survives these DT's. LOL

Donna

Anonymous said...

ANON 203 - with overtime and the free take home care they do make 50-60k a year. And they do spend more time doing traffic detail then they spend on calls. If all they want is the revenue generated from all of the traffic tickets then pay people $12 per\hour to do that and make the hundreds of troopers in this state do police work. This may help lower the work load for the Sheriff and local municipal departments.

Anonymous said...

millsie-
You sound like your angry about to many traffic tickets you got.
As for the sheriff's department if they were doing there job's they would catch the people breaking and entering in the Nanticoke, Tyaskin, and Bivalve areas. And maybe let the rest of the public know about it. So we could take more precautions.

Anonymous said...

ANON 1253 - On the contrary, I was a police officer for 3 years. I just hated the fact that they wanted me to be a hypocrite. I feel we have more state police per capita than any other state. These troopers speed on our roads all day long in non emergency mode but as soon as you do the same they are right there to hand you a citation. Your local police and sheriff deputies do most of the real police work. On any given day you see state troopers doing what? Sitting on the side of the road running radar. Go down 50 east around Willards MD in the middle of the summer on a weekend and you will see what I am talking about. 6-12 troopers running radar. At 50k+ per year that is a mess of money standing on the side of the road. In my opinion this is just one of many areas that our tax money is spent in excess, I would rather have more than enough teachers than troopers.