Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, April 04, 2019

Wise words from this 'young' lady!

Wise words from this 'young' lady!

Twice this week, I have watched an elderly individual, fade into the busy life in which we all live. One man just needed Tylenol for his wife but the shop assistant simply said it’s in aisle ‘6’. But he struggled to navigate the supermarket and as I watched him go in the wrong direction, I left all my groceries and took him where he needed to go.

Today, I watched an elderly man struggle in the heat, who had obviously had a fall with a huge scrape and blood on his leg. He walked past people in the cafe, while he slowly made his way to his car. Not one person stopped. Or looked. Or acknowledged him. I took him to his car and checked he was ok. He told me he had a fall and wasn’t sure how the air con worked in his car so he just didn’t use it. I sat with him, until his air con kicked in and heard him talk about the old frail body that he is in, that fails him now, every single day.

When you see an elderly person walking down the street, searching in the supermarket or struggling to their car, take a minute out of your busy schedule and ask them if they need a hand. Think about your grand parents and your parents and how pissed you would be if someone didn’t stop to help them. But more, think of them as you.

Once upon a time they were you. They were busy, they had work, they had children, they were able. Today, they are just in an older body that is not going as fast as it used to and this busy life is confusing. They deserve our utmost respect and consideration. One day it will be you, it will be us. I wish more people gave a shit about them and acknowledged them for their admirable existence and jeez I hope someday, not that far away, someone does it for me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My co-worker was a lot younger than I and on occasion she would make fun of my age. She in her mid 20s and I in my 50s. Must say I looked younger but that my opinion that I kept to myself. When she made old age remarks I told her "you will be there some day".

Anonymous said...

i try to do things like this

Anonymous said...

Amen, God bless her!

Anonymous said...

There will be a lot more of us very soon; we hope that you can keep up.

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself now because you could get old.

Anonymous said...

I am now paying the price for things I did when I was young. If I could do it over, I would never play sports and tear up my body.

Anonymous said...

At 77, I still do my own grocery shopping. I must say the Fruitland food lion has wonderful employees. If I drop something someone is there almost immediately to pick it up. In the parking lot somebody offers to help me load o my groceries & take the cart back. KUDOS!

Anonymous said...

I'm 83, I live alone since my wife died 8 years ago and I do everything myself,it's not easy but I don't mind. Last week I taught myself to Iron my shirts and I feel a lot better not wearing wrinkled shirts. People are always asking if I need help when I'm out and it is really appreciated. Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Im 107 and just learned out to chop wood. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Thank God for young people like this young lady, As I always say to my friends it is easier to be kind to everyone and smile, thank a veteran for their service it takes more effort to be snippy and mean than courteous.

Anonymous said...

Well said.