Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 27, 2017

FTC: Illegal robocalls on the rise

BALTIMORE —Has your phone been ringing off the hook lately due to robocalls?

You're not alone.

The Federal Trade Commission has seen a significant increase in the number of illegal robocalls --recorded messages about a product or service -- and complaints about them.

Robocalls can be annoying, if not dangerous. To date, the FTC has brought more than 100 lawsuits against 600 companies and individuals responsible for billions of illegal robocalls and other do-not-call violations.

"The technology that's available for folks to make these unwanted calls is widely available. You can do it from anywhere in the world, and it's very inexpensive," FTC attorney Janice Kopec said.

More

1 comment:

Tony Quart said...

Yeah, I think I have received thousands calls from those telemarketers and scammers since the beginning of this year. I don't know what should I do to make them stop, but they start to annoy me so much. I have just read a nice article at http://www.whycall.me/news/my-4500-payday-from-a-telemarketer/ that might be useful for us to fight back those annoying companies. I will surely sue them if they keep calling me until next week.