Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

What Can I Do If I Keep Getting Auto-Billed For A Thing I Don’t Want?

Subscriptions and recurring payments are the hot thing these days. From political donations to arts patronage, from subscription boxes to student loans, everyone wants a scheduled monthly slice of your money. And that’s all well and good, as long as you actually want what they’re selling. But what happens if you change your mind?

Any recurring pledge, payment, or subscription you make will have some terms and conditions on it about when and how you can cancel, and what kind of refund, if any, you can expect if you do. You would expect, though, that you cancancel — and that when you do, they properly stop billing you going forward.

Alas, both these things are not always true. You do, however, have rights. You should be able to make the payments stop — and if you can’t, you can get help.
The Law(s)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a free checking account I use and when I am done I close it and that is the end of that. I also have a visa with a low limit and I have closed that on several occasions and applied for a new card, no problem.

I am not groveling and going on a letter writing campaign to get some rip off artist to stop taking my money.

I stopped doing business with people who demand that they have access to my checking account. It is the biggest bunch of BS. If I can not pay you monthly voluntarily, I have no need to put my money in jeopardy and have to fight to get it back.

Even at Quest Diagnostics they want your banking info so that they can "automatically" bill you what they want to and then you have to fight it when they screw up. Last year it took them over 9 months to get my billing straight. So no, I am not interested in giving you free access to my financial information and have to fight with you for 6 months to get my money back when you screw up.

I am so sick of it.