Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, July 02, 2016

As a Psychiatrist, I Diagnose Mental Illness. And, Sometimes, Demonic Possession.

In the late 1980s, I was introduced to a self-styled Satanic high priestess. She called herself a witch and dressed the part, with flowing dark clothes and black eye shadow around to her temples. In our many discussions, she acknowledged worshipping Satan as his “queen.”

I’m a man of science and a lover of history; after studying the classics at Princeton, I trained in psychiatry at Yale and in psychoanalysis at Columbia. That background is why a Catholic priest had asked my professional opinion, which I offered pro bono, about whether this woman was suffering from a mental disorder. This was at the height of the national panic about Satanism. (In a case that helped induce the hysteria, Virginia McMartin and others had recently been charged with alleged Satanic ritual abuse at a Los Angeles preschool; the charges were later dropped.)

So I was inclined to skepticism. But my subject’s behavior exceeded what I could explain with my training.

She could tell some people their secret weaknesses, such as undue pride. She knew how individuals she’d never known had died, including my mother and her fatal case of ovarian cancer. Six people later vouched to me that, during her exorcisms, they heard her speaking multiple languages, including Latin, completely unfamiliar to her outside of her trances. This was not psychosis; it was what I can only describe as paranormal ability. I concluded that she was possessed. Much later, she permitted me to tell her story.

More here
[ Richard Gallagher is a board-certified psychiatrist and a professor of clinical psychiatry at New York Medical College. --Editor]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't take a medical degree to know Hillary Clinton is the embodiment of Satan!

Anonymous said...

I don't think that she's actually Satan, but an Earthly underling.

Anonymous said...

Hillary is Wicca.

Anonymous said...

Classic God of the Gaps argument.

Pretty much goes: I dunno, I can't figure it out... so .... magic.

Shining example of religion muddying the waters of clear thinking, again.