Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 05, 2016

Black History Month Is About Recalling Church’s Influence, Not Bondage of Economic Enslavement

As of Monday, it’s now Black History Month, a time to reflect and celebrate the achievements of American blacks in this great nation. We must look to the past in order to inspire us towards a brighter future. Here’s what I focus on in this month, remembering those who went before me, enabling me to be who and where I am.

My first sense of pride comes from having two great parents, the stable black family. This is the strength of our community. Sadly it has been utterly decimated in the past 50 years since the infamous liberal progressive policy endeavor called “The Great Society.”

I remember growing up in Atlanta’s Old Fourth Ward and learning not just from my folks, but from all the ol’ folks who imparted their wisdom if you would listen. Sure, there were knuckleheads when I was growing up, but for the most part there was a sincere respect for authority. My greatest fear was simple: having the teacher call my folks, Buck and Snooks West. Man, I would clean all the blackboards and sweep all the classrooms just so that wouldn’t happen. And there at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School, Sister Judith wielded a mean paddle — and contrary to Dr. Spock, I grew up just fine.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly am tired of hearing all the PC non sense here. The majority of all young blacks don't know or better yet care about black history month. How is allowing such an agenda not promoting racism or a constant divide?? Almost as ridiculous as allowing black entertainment television, black people meet. com,how about allowing national association of advancement of white people. Yea how about white entertainment television, or white people meet?? No that all would be considered racist.

Anonymous said...

It's about dividing Americans into separate groups and pitting them against each other while the politicians steal from them.

Anonymous said...

Every month they are celebrating some American minority. America it is time to get over it. Most of us consider this idiotic over indulgence.