Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, May 09, 2015

VA Claims Living Veteran is Dead, Cuts Benefits

A North Carolina veteran very much alive is fighting for his life following a clerical error that resulted in his family getting a document from the departments of Veterans Affairs and Defense stating he had died.

The notices, along with the government's condolences, came with two checks to help pay for burial costs for Robert Pressley -- but because the system now says Pressley is deceased, his benefits reportedly have been terminated.

Pressley, who supports a small family and is unable to work due to combat-related injuries, cannot afford to lose his benefits, he told WECT-TV.

“To prove that I am alive is just insane and it scares me to death,” he said. “That at a touch of a button or because of someone’s clerical error my whole life can be taken away from me and it is.”

Pressley also claims duplicate letters were sent to his ex-wife, even though he told the VA multiple times he was divorced and has since remarried.

“I mean, what do I do?” Pressley asked, according WECT-TV. “I am not getting any answers, I am not getting any help. I am scared.”

More

2 comments:

Unknown said...

time to get on the phone with your congressman if has any balls or sympathy he will get the ball rolling conversations with a critical care nurse or doctor who is treating the patient would help immensely

Unknown said...

lets get the ball rolling on this one people any suggestions?