Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, March 07, 2015

Remember snow days before technology took over?

I'm writing this on a laptop as I sit at the dining room table in my home in Mt. Washington on this snowy day. In front of me I can see my boys, ages 10 and 7, playing games on the carpet in front of the fireplace. Beyond them is a large window that looks out to the trees and street, where it's still and quiet. In the kitchen my wife is preparing a feast of banana chocolate chip pancakes. I can see the snow falling. I can smell the pancakes. Oh my, now I smell bacon. I sip my coffee.

And I sit here, thinking, working, but also daydreaming about how nice it would be to not be working at all.

Remember snow days? I don't mean the kind when you were a kid and went sledding when school shut down. I mean grown up snow days, when you had a job but no one could get to the job, so there was no job to do that day. Because we didn't all have laptops and Dropbox and smart phones and the general sense that you could (and should) work anywhere and at anytime.

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Grown up snow days"?

Must be before my time, or very small owner-run businesses that do that. I've personally never worked anywhere that accepted "snowed in" as an excuse not to be at work that day.

Where I work, you have to show up no matter what...even if the company grounds its own fleet due to dangerous weather conditions, so you can't even do your job if and when you do get there.

Anonymous said...

I remember the factory shutting down in Camden, NY, for five days during and after the Blizzard of '66. We had over 100 inches of snow in five days, half of it falling on the last day of the blizzard. Snow drifts were 10-15 feet high. Some one story houses were covered over by the snow. Kids had ten days off from school, something I've never seen, before or since.
We had five days off from work, but they were five days of not being paid, too. And most of it was spent shoveling snow from driveways and roofs, and creating paths from door to driveway that had walls over ten feet high.