Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Walmart Workers Complain They Can't Afford New Dress Code

Walmart workers are apparently not too happy about having Walmart tell them how to dress, and now labor activists are getting involved.

Richard Reynoso, a Walmart employee working in a southern California store, sent a letter to Walmart’s corporate headquarters on Monday, claiming that he couldn’t afford to comply with a new company dress code that takes effect on September 29. It was written on letterhead with the logo of OUR Walmart, a union-backed organization advocating for Walmart workers.

Under the new code, workers will have to a wear a collared blue or white shirt and black or khaki pants, along with a Walmart vest the company will provide. Employees can use clothes they already own or buy new clothes anywhere they want, but they have to pay for the shirts and pants out of their own pockets.

More

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm required to wear a tie, dress shirt and pants, often wondered why it can't be written off on taxes since I'm required to wear? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I do beleive you can buy both from Wallmart for the price of two 12 packs or 3 cd's. It is simply a matter of what your priorities are. If it meant keep my job and do without a few non essentills or be unemployed, I would do without. Pants at Wallmart are about $10 and collared shirt can be had for about $12.

Anonymous said...

Ok......the issue is what ? That a company makes you dress in a certain manner to work there. I have bought my own work clothes for every business I have worked. Tell then to stop crying, I am so tired hearing about the poor walmart employees. I have never had an employer come to me and beg me to work for them. If you don't like your job or their rules go somewhere else

Anonymous said...

Ok......the issue is what ? That a company makes you dress in a certain manner to work there. I have bought my own work clothes for every business I have worked. Tell then to stop crying, I am so tired hearing about the poor walmart employees. I have never had an employer come to me and beg me to work for them. If you don't like your job or their rules go somewhere else

Anonymous said...

Why don't they buy it from Wal-Mart and get a discount. Collared shirt and khaki pants. Total price maybe $30 at most. You don't need 100$ pair of pants to go to work in. I am tired of people complaining about pay, but then you see them,wearing 300 $ in clothing and shoes... live within your means.

Anonymous said...

Can't afford, or don't want to afford?

Anonymous said...

OR..if you check out a few yardsales and thrift shops you can find lots of these pants and shirts for under a dollar!

Anonymous said...

Walmart is probably tired of the employees walkin' around lookin' like bums. They should give all of them a free iron and say USE IT!

Anonymous said...

They can't afford a shirt and pair of pants??

Anonymous said...

A union shop...figures

Anonymous said...

Now a new employee event going on is to cluster just behind the registers and ignore customers while you chat about your life problems and block all registers. North Walmart... what is up with this action????

Anonymous said...

5:37
That Walmart has got to be the worst Walmart in the area. They are always out of the same things week after week. Trying to get someone to help you is never an option. If you do find someone they will make 100 excuses as to why they can't go in the back to see if they have more. The pet section is a joke and who ever runs it should be fired.

Anonymous said...

Like the Military....issue uniforms and cleaning allowance....mess up the clothing issued...you pay for it...