Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Son Buys Mom Her Dream Car (And Surprises Her With It)

Since I was a kid, my mom's been raving about this car that she's always wanted: an old Saab. Last year, I asked her to point out the exact car, in passing. She pointed out a copper coloured 1973 Saab 99 EMS.

A lot of people have been asking why her dream car is the Saab '73 99 EMS. My mom used to clean houses for a living, and one of the houses she would clean for a few years was a guy who owned a 70's saab 99. He would throw her the keys and let her move the car all the time and she fell in love with it.

After 6 months of looking, my friend found one on eBay and I reached out to the seller. It wasn't the same year or colour, but it was close. It was a silver 1974. After talking with him on the phone, I found out he had a lot of collectible Saabs, one of which was the exact make, model, colour and year I was looking for.

It took me another 6 months to get it, but surprising her with it made it all worthwhile.

For those who are watching and aren't familiar with the project, I'll explain it here:

2.5 years ago, my mom lost her job and I set off on a challenge to earn enough money to financially retire her. I haven't been successful yet, but this is a big milestone in helping to improve her life. She hasn't had a car in a year, and the one before that was falling apart.

3 comments:

JoeAlbero said...

AMEN BROTHER! NEVER FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM.

Anonymous said...

Damn Joe,you don't mix words do you.Great point though.We all arrived here the same way.

Anonymous said...

Good kid, that's nice.