Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, December 09, 2013

How I Learned My History

I’ve recently received requests for history book recommendations. I know I’m leaving out a lot, but I think I’ve compiled a good starter list.

So, without further ado:

General Histories (covering large sections of history):

The Evolution of Civilizations, by Carroll Quigley. An excellent look back – all the way to the Ice Age and even further.

The Third Wave, by Alvin Toffler. Examines human civilization from its origins to what’s coming next. Chapters 1-10 are a brilliant must read, but the rest of the book is dated and unnecessary.

The State, by Franz Oppenheimer. A serious look at the institution of the State.

The Collapse of Complex Societies, by Joseph Tainter. How centralization has destroyed culture after culture.

Art: A New History, by Paul Johnson. A superb history of art and all that pertains to it, from the beginning of human history.

More

No comments: