Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 01, 2013

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 8-31-13

“THE OAKS DRIVE-IN”

Probably the most memorable of all the businesses that have lined either side of South Salisbury Boulevard was the once Oaks Drive-In, originated and operated for many years by former County Councilman Hermus W. Lowe. It was located at the intersection of an unpaved county road, running west to Camden Avenue past the residence of the George Wolf’s. Years later when Richard Cooper prepared a plat for the subdivision of the area, the name of Kay Ave. was given to the street, in honor of the Wolf’s daughter – now Mrs. Ted Wycall.

For the high school teenage set of the ‘50’s and ‘60’s, the Oaks became thegathering place, the haven and unofficial Mecca to meet, eat and drink Pepsi’s. Those were the days of the bobby socks, the fans of Dick Clark, when the lifestyle by current standards would appear very unsophisticated. Drugs were items such as penicillin, sulfa or the prescriptions for youngsters’ bouts with colds, acne and sprained muscles. Generally their wants were limited to hamburgers, milkshakes and maybe a beer.

Teenagers came from as far away as Dover and Cape Charles just to go to the Oaks. Those were the days of back roads drag racing and this was where all the matches were made. Usually when a good race was imminent, you could observe a mass exodus from the Oaks to the designated strip of back road. For those not having a car with good acceleration, there was always the hobby of customizing to the owners taste. The motto of the day was “If it won’t run, chrome it”. “Poppin’ hoods” was a familiar sight at the Oaks.

One of the most popular exercises was driving around the building. Eventually they put in speed bumps to slow people down. I think the record was the night that a boy drove his father’s tractor (as in tractor/trailer) around the Oaks a total of 100 times.

Fights were rare and the only time I remember someone getting knocked down, the recipient of the blow later claimed that he had slipped on a French fry. Usually things were settled by a lot of “jawing”.

If you were lucky enough to get a “stand” outside, that was a cherished place for the remainder of the night. The car-hops would bring you food and drink and you could sit there and observe all the activity.

There was a lot of entertainment to be had for less than $2. Those were the days.

The Tony Tank branch of the PNC Bank sits on the site now.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

great memories!!! also remember The Oaks and The Hut

Anonymous said...

Many, Many stories from my father about the Oaks and the street races.

Anonymous said...

Kay Wolf was a beautiful young lady.

Anonymous said...

Great fun hang out, good spot for dating couples, meeting everyone and all the hot cars were there the old "muscle cars". My now husband took me there for our first date.

Anonymous said...

We were ticked off when Mr Lowe blocked off the circle so we couldn't drive completely around the bldg.Having to turn around and go back was a hassle,but it did allow better control of who came and went.I saw my first 1967 Shelby fastback Mustang at the Oaks.That thing had a 427 FORD engine and was scary fast.It was white and supposedly from VA.

Anonymous said...

Surprisingly there wasn't much "back seat activity" that happened there because everybody was walking around and admiring the different cars. Back then, cars did not all look the same as they do now. Those were also the days when you could drive your pickup to school with a shotgun nested in a rack in your rear window and after school you and your teachers would compare guns. Those were the days when we respected each other.

Anonymous said...

When I left for active duty in April of 1971 the Oaks was still open when I returned from basic and AIT in August they had closed. Dusted of my car picked up my girl and headed to the Oaks only to find it was all over.

Anonymous said...

I remember when they put in the speed bumps. Boy, was there a lot of bitchin' and complaining!

Anonymous said...

My parents have told me many stories about this place. I hear lots about it while we sitting on the same property but we were in the Tony Tank Inn instead. Before driving my friends and I hung out at the Salisbury Mall. When I was the age of going out on my own with friends we hung out at The Hut, McDonalds (across from SU) and at Lombardi's.

Anonymous said...

There was also the Shelton Drive-in in the south bound lane of 13 at the base of the overhead bridge. The food was good but no place to ride around. At the Oaks, we had a professional code of ethics. We didn't think it was right to go out there and cruse without buying something, even if it was just a coke and fries. As an earlier post stated, back then we respected each other. And I never heard of any vandalism there. Us kids knew that if you caused any damage and the word got out, you would get your ass kicked by your piers.

Anonymous said...

Great story of better times

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget. Being a bit of a clown,, as I still am today, The car-hop came out for our order and I asked for a butter bean sandwich. and a pepsi. She actually brought out a butter bean sandwich and charged me 35 cents for it. I got her back though. The next time I asked for a bowl of turtle soup and make it snappy.

Anonymous said...

Fatso and Onion Rings, the best there was.

Anonymous said...

3:36-was the fatso the sandwich that was like a Big Mac? I always ordered that.It was delicious.

Anonymous said...

3:36 PM
Now to see Fatso you have to go to Wal-Mart.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great memories, it was a great time to grow up. Oh to have those days back again!!

Anonymous said...

I remember the "Fatso" cost 55 cents and that was a lot of money for a sandwich in those days.
Great story and wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

loved the oaks. how about the acorn? great memories "back in the day"...thanks for the story.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there also the H&J Drive-in at Rt. 13 & Zion Rd? Some other fast food places I remember were Burger Chef & Gino's.

Anonymous said...

I met my first husband at the Oaks in the summer of 1967. The marriage didn't last, but the great memories I have of the Oaks will last forever!

Anonymous said...

5:56-Did'nt you know any better than to marry someone you met at the Oaks? All of us have wonderful memories of the Oaks,but all temporary.Truly great things rarely last long,just like the first horse to come out of the gate rarely winning the race.In 1967 I thought the Oaks would last forever,but I was a naïve 15 year old.What did I know?