|An Albero Supporter BEFORE Vandalism|
While Albero has taken the high road to date, stealing yard signs appears to be a minor distraction compared to what else can be expected from Ireton's campaign and some of his supporters. According to a Salisbury businessman (who asked not to be identified), Ireton said to him last week, "You know Joe Albero hates blacks, Mexicans, Jews, and women." Compare that to Ireton's claim that he would "run on his record". I guess when you don't have much of a record to run on ...
Ireton's claimed record is more one of taking credit for the accomplishments of others:
- NOT Raising Taxes - Salisbury taxpayers can thanks the same "council majority" that Ireton has spent almost four years disparaging. Ireton tried to raise taxes. The council wouldn't let him.
- A 40% Reduction in Crime - While some are questioning the number, Ireton can rightly claim credit for hiring SPD Chief Barbara Duncan. It's also a fact that he happened to be mayor when Salisbury began participation in the state's "Safe Streets" program. He just doesn't want to admit that the idea came from council president Terry Cohen. He also doesn't want to admit that the vital work done by the city's crime task force was led by councilwoman Debbie Campbell. As for finally increasing police pay, Ireton only signed off after the council tired of waiting for action and seized the issue themselves.
- A $16 Million Surplus - Thank the city council AGAIN. Jim Ireton and taxpayer dollars go together like Drunken Sailor and Whorehouse. Quarter Million Dollar Apartments in "the Bricks"?
- Business Friendly - Talk to any businessperson who has waited months or years for permits.
- "I've Kept Every Promise I Made" - I'll save this one until after I control my laughter.