Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, May 17, 2012

FTC: Skechers Deceived Consumers With Shoe Ads

The government wants you to know that simply sporting a pair of Skechers’ fitness shoes is not going to get you Kim Kardashian’s curves or Brooke Burke’s toned tush.

Skechers USA Inc. will pay $40 million to settle charges by the Federal Trade Commission that the footwear company made unfounded claims that its Shape-ups shoes would help people lose weight and strengthen their butt, leg and stomach muscles. Kardashian, Burke and other celebrities endorsed the shoes in Skechers ads.

Wednesday’s settlement also involves the company’s Resistance Runner, Toners, and Tone-ups shoes and claims of deceptive advertising for those shoes as well.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn! I want my money back.

Jack K Richards said...

And how does one go about collecting those monies?

Anonymous said...

Sweet JEEZUS, I'm so glad the lawsuit went thru. I almost bought some new Air Jordans so I could dunk on fools at the YMCA. Now I'm having second thoughts that the shoes may not have super magic soles and do all the work for me.