Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 26, 2012

3.1-Magnitude Quake Hits Same Va. Town 7 Months Later

WASHINGTON - A magnitude 3.1 earthquake struck just outside Mineral, Va. late Sunday night.

WTOP listeners say they felt the earthquake in Orange and Spotsylvania counties.

Lamont James was watching TV with his wife in their home in Spotsylvania County when they felt the shaking.

"Me and my wife, we felt the house shaking, so I went outside and I saw my neighbor and he came out and said ‘Hey did you feel that?' I said ‘Yes I felt that too' and I said ‘Oh my god, here we go, another earthquake again,'" he says.

"In comparison to the earthquake we had last summer, it felt like the tremor we had that evening and then again the next day," he says.

The U.S. Geological Survey reports the earthquake struck a little after 11:21 p.m. Sunday, just eight miles from Mineral, which is about 85 miles south of the District.

There are no reports of damage.

A magnitude 5.8 earthquake struck the same area on Aug. 23, 2011.

WTOP will bring you more details as they become available.

Source

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just checked out the governments site on earthquakes. it says that it was slightly south of charleston, WEST virginia. not sure which may be inaccurate though