Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Prepper's View - Spring into action

Spring is right around the corner. Some would argue that it's already here and others believe we still have a cold winter ahead of us. No matter what your position is on the matter, to look out and see the daffodils pushing up their tender shoots, it's hard to believe it's only the first week of February. Be that as it may, it is almost time to prepare for spring planting. Some of us plant a garden as a hobby and some of us plant a survival garden. As preppers, most of us recognize the fact that the ability to grow a garden, harvesting the fruits and vegetables, and prepare it for storage is as important as anything else you can do. So where do we begin?

Some among us have a very unique ability to grow anything anywhere. Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with that ability. I have to work like a dog for every tomato that makes it's way to my salad, spaghetti sauce, or mason jar. Last year my garden was a catastrophe. This year I have decided that it will be my personal goal to grow an outstanding survival garden that will bear enough to eat during the summer and can for the winter. I have been told recently to start tomato plant seeds now inside and grow them inside until they can be moved outside. I have also been instructed to save milk jugs so that they can be used to cover the small tomato plants after they are moved outside. If I start my tomato seeds now, I will plan on putting them in the ground in about 6 weeks. My understanding is that most other seeds are best planted in the garden.

After planting my tomato seeds I will make sure that my tiller starts and runs the way it's supposed to. Since I have layer chickens and other livestock, I have been saving the straw bedding and composting it. I will spread it over my garden plot and till it under several times about two weeks before I'm ready to plant. I will till it again just before I plant.

At this point I would like to know what others do to prepare their gardens, start their seeds, stake their plants, what are easiest to grow, what are problems we may run into, etc. Many of us want to learn as much as we can before the time to plant is here. Share your knowledge. This is networking.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to know what you have to begin with, get a soil test.

Bob said...

where do you get soil tests done?

Anonymous said...

Farmers and Planters Company is located at mill st and the rt 50 draw bridge in salisbury. pleasent staff will help with all of your gardening needs and questions..

Anonymous said...

this guys doomed he if cant grow a tomato
they grow like weeds

Anonymous said...

okay slow down. February is waaaay to early to be starting plants. Granted we have had a crazy mild winter so far but the frost date for the eastern shore is not until mid-late April. You plant anything before that and you are risking dead/damaged plants.
I usually look to start my planting the last weekend in April, first weekend in May.

Anonymous said...

Are there any vegetables that do well in sandy soil?

Anonymous said...

I think the point is to get people sharing ideas. Not criticizing each other. I also think he was talking about starting the tomato plants from seeds inside and then transplanting outside when it's time.

Anonymous said...

Build up your sandy soil with organic matter and plant carrots, beets, turnips.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be ordering my heirloom seedes soon. Rember to use heirloon seeds.

Anonymous said...

Farmers and Planters and Johnsons feed and seed carry heirloom seed. Buy local! You can also buy organically grown, heirloom transplants from Winter Harvest Organic Farm on Nanticoke Road. They also sell their plants at the Salisbury Farmers Market. No need to buy online when we have good quality suppliers right here in our own backyards.

Anonymous said...

You can start spreading your manure now and let it leech into the soil before you turn the ground up. Once you get your soil tested, you might have to apply lime to sweeten the soil. It will prevent blossom end rot on tomatoes. If you're going to plant peas and/or onions, do it the end of February, beginning of March. You said you've started your seeds indoors, that's a good thing, they'll be ready to go out Mid to late April. I plant most things early. I too, use plastic milk jugs to protect my plants from a late frost, they act like mini greenhouses. If you have long rows of tender transplants, you could invest in floating row covers or hooped row covers. I like to get my tomatoes, squash and cukes in the ground early. You can also plant potatoes mid March. Hold off planting beans until May they can't be transplanted you have to sow them directly into the ground. By the time the peas are ready to come out of the ground it's time to get your area ready for corn. Growing your own is an awesome thing to watch, if you pay close attention, the crops will teach you a thing or two.

Anonymous said...

If you grow a lot of tomatoes don't bother with tomatoe cages, use them for peppers. Stake your tomatoes with firing strips and twine. I think they call it basket weaving method or some kind of weaving. It's a whole lot easier than having 30 or 40 cages out there.

Trellis your cucumbers using concrete reinforcing wire and rebar or you could use twine and wood stakes, whatever is easiest. I make use of what I have available or find cheap.

Shred newspapers for mulch but not the shiny ad pages, who knows what's in that ink. You can also keep your newspapers and spread them out in your rows to block weeds. I mulch plants with straw then at the end of the season, I till it all, newspaper and straw right back into the earth.