Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, January 12, 2012

With 113 Food Lion Stores Closing, Salisbury Is Not On Their List?

Delhaize America to cut 4900 jobs, close stores


(Reuters) - Supermarket operator Delhaize America said it will close 113 underperforming Food Lion stores mainly in markets in which the company has the least store density and will cut 4,900 jobs to focus on markets with high density.


Delhaize America, which has more than 1,600 stores in 16 states in the eastern United States, also operates under the banners Bottom Dollar Food, Harveys, Hannaford Supermarkets, Reid's and Sweetbay.


The company will convert 64 Bloom and Bottom Dollar Food stores in Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia to Food Lion stores.


All affected stores will close within 30 days and store conversions will begin immediately, the company said.




GO HERE to view the list.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know why salisbury is not on the list.
Most of their income comes from the government. Food stamp entitlement at all the stores are a great percentage of income.
This is a given , Pecan Square is at the top ofd the list.
After shopping there for years I am aware of the clients , free food free baby items . Cash when needed for the lottery or the beer store a few stores down.
Thanks Obama , we needed this change, NOT!

Anonymous said...

Anyone wondering why Salisbury isn't on the list need to 1. consider how far out of the distribution chain FL stores are, and, 2. visit some of the towns and stores being closed nearby; you'll like Salisbury a little more.

1:58 - your point is quite a bit off target; food stamps and entitlements - and Obama programs - are national in scope, not localized in Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

Maybe, just maybe, the employees of the Food Lion stores locally will get wind of this and realize that their jobs may not be eternal and they'll start taking more pride in their stores!
I was in the Laurel Food Lion several weeks ago and there was a young girl complaining that it wasn't her job to clean up around the register areas and she wasn't going to do it!
I asked the cashier waiting on me, whom the other girl was talking to if they had "company" coming and she said yes, so everybody was scrambling trying to get the store cleaned. I told her that if they would keep the store cleaned and everybody do their job, they wouldn't have to worry about when the big guys were coming and also that if that girl worked in my store, I would have fired her on the spot!
That really scared the girl at the register, she immediately asked me if I worked for Food Lion. I told her no, I didn't work for Food Lion but I reiterated my statement.
Look out because you never know who's listening and or watching.
Be THANKFUL you HAVE a job, and DO your job. In fact, do a little MORE than your normal so that maybe you'll get to KEEP that job!

Anonymous said...

I am not on food stamps. I choose Food Lion in Fruitland. The people are nice and tey have good inventory. I would like a Harris Teeter or Whole Foods, though:)

Anonymous said...

Whole foods suck in every conceivable way. No thanks.