Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 23, 2011

Holiday Hazard: Kids Turning Into Spoiled Brats

Parents, do you ever get the feeling you've created a monster? Our TODAY Moms/Parenting.com survey shows that most parents fear their kids are spoiled.

Psychotherapist Dr. Robi Ludwig shares tips for raising grateful children.

As parents, we want to be able to give our kids everything they want and need. We, of course, want them to be happy.

But what happens when this desire to make our kids happy produces a negative side effect? Instead of creating self-confident, self-satisfied kids, it creates spoiled and entitled children. Ugh. Certainly not the goal we want to achieve! And the holiday season doesn’t help. It can put parents in a shopping daze where buying more can feel like loving more.

More

Publisher's Notes: The other day I asked my Grandson, is there anything special you'd like for Christmas? He replied, "nope". I said, come on now, there's nothing special you'd like for Christmas? He replied, "I got everything I wanted for my Birthday". LIFE IS GOOD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why we should be teaching our children that holidays are not about gifts, but about spending time with family and appreciating what you have been blessed with. And, if you're a true Christian, the birth of our Lord. I say true Christian b/c there are plenty of people who celebrate Christmas and don't believe in Christ.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree 8:40