Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, December 02, 2011

A Comment Worthy Of A Post 12-2-11

Joe, as a County employee, I would like to add to your post and all the comments above. I am a firm believer in running our local government offices and services like a business would. There is far too much waste in our County government that gets over looked day after day and year after year. Here are my thoughts on the County's inefficiencies.

1. Employee performance reviews - the County does review its employees' performance, but that's as far as it goes-There are no adjustments either way. Job descriptions are not modified, salaries are not compensated (up or down) and workforce is not adjusted (until budget woes arise). The County needs to use those reviews to discover inefficiencies, promote a productive work environment and reward hard work. What happens when they don't praise those who work hard and punish those who strive to work as little as possible is those hard workers will become lazy because they see that there is no reward for overachieving and no penalty for slacking thus further promoting inefficiencies in our local government. I'll tell you this, there were certainly a few people that got laid off that worked way harder than those still working for the County.

2. Raises - No COLAs! Raises should not be given across the board just because you survived another year working the same exact job at the County. For example, if an employee is hired at $40K and retires after 25 years of service with a 3% COLA every year they will be making over $83K by the time they retire. There are actually people who just retired from the County who's job description DID NOT CHANGE OVER 25 YEARS!!! Don't you thing a few things changed since 1985?? Raises should be earn and not given! I work hard every day and go above and beyond my job description, but I've yet to see a raise since I've been with the County. Do I deserve a raise? I think so, but I'm happier to simply have a job. But if the County ran like a business then I, and others like me, could receive a raise despite poor economic conditions.

3. Holidays - Black Friday and the Birthday holidays are absolute BS! If you want those days off then use your vacation time. Again, most businesses don't do this, why should the County be an exception?

4. Budget surplus - since the executive form of government has been in place and Pollitt has been in office, a budget surplus has become nearly non-existent! The economy is partially to blame; however, our government leaders have the 'if we have it we must spend it' mentality. Now we've hit times like this and our reserves are blown. Coupled with over paid staff, surplus workforce and the incredible ability to pay entirely too much on frivolous project, we get put into a severe budget jam. = And this week Pollitt discovered that there is a POSSIBILITY of a budget surplus and wanted to hand out bonuses? Money just burns a hole in his pocket! I don't even want his $200 if its going to cost me my job when budget cuts come again next year. Businesses don't operate with a zero budget, why should the County? SAVE MONEY RICK! Again, this is coming from a County employee and I still think it's crap! I truly see the big picture and I don't perceive myself as a "whiny County employee." Honestly, if I had the personal funds, the time and didn't fear getting fired I would run for County Executive. I'd even donate the difference between my current salary and the $85K executive salary back to the County but the County is so screwed up that it's apparently not "allowed."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear county employee ,
The government has gotten very bad over the past 20 years.
They use the prior year to budget for the next year.
The need to be accountable for every dollar and explain why we spend it.
Every part of the government needs to be audited and watched very closely. We all know that the road crews have too many men doing nothing , we all see it , nothing is done about it. I guess mostly because they are now 90% black and we don't want the race card thrown at us again.
I would fire them in a heart beat , we have nothing but pussies in the governmwent sucking the last dollar it can.
Be prepared folks , it's a commin , soon in your neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know how this employee thinks the county's "reserves are blown?"

Anonymous said...

I'm a county employee as well. Agreed that COLA raises are pretty much worthless. We have seen increases in our healtcare rise far above the pittance of a COLA. Essentially, our take home pay is far less than it was 5 years ago. On top of that, add the deduction every pay for a furlough. Then with layoffs, you add job duties. I am thankful to have a job. Period. I just have to wonder about outsiders looking in, talking about what they think they know. Wait. No I don't. They truly don't have a clue.

Anonymous said...

County employee:

First of all I used to think that government could be run just like a business but it can't...the government relies on its revenue and can't go out and make money like a business can. The birthday days was a nice gesture by Rick since he knew that tough times were coming and raises were not an option...the birthday day regardless isn't going to save the county any money and check your facts black friday was considered a holiday in 2008 and by Bush its American Heritage Day and did u bother to check and see the reason that the Friday after Thanksgiving was given. Im sure u didnt. What sense would it make for the county to be open when the city is closed think of the expense. U really are a disappointing county employee...what I
really don't get is you complain about the days which are incentives but whine about money...be thankful your working!!

Anonymous said...

I work for the county and I wish the person that wrote this didn't. I thought we had a pretty good family of employees, and to hear the half truths and the hate that this employee has for the county is sad. We work hard as public servants every day. Our job is to serve the public. Like us or hate us, we will always deliver. I don't view people commenting on here about facts as complaining. Just like the comment in this persons letter, by his/her belief, a person in the county should never get a pay raise. If this person doesn't realizem,there are no COLA raises in the county. Haven't been for over 5 years. What the county did when they would give a raise was to give out a percentage whether it be 1 or 3% and that would be for both merit and cola combined. Why shouldn't an employee expect that over time they should make more. People become better at their jobs, and longevity should count for something. Anyone in private sector would agree or they are a liar. The person who wrote this is a vindictive jerk.

Concerned Retiree said...

I retired from the State. I agree with this writer. The problem I seen was that once hired you had to create a crime just short of murder to be fired.
The only exception was if you were persistant in doing your job the correct way.
90% of all government workers have a mentality that all they have to do is show up and not make waves.
Workers proficiency in there work habits and accomplishments are about 55%. Just enough to say I worked.
They never want to help others because that is not their job. They know they only have to do enough to get by with.
If you think I am wrong then ride around the College and the Housing areas on Milford and Onley and tell me what they are doing. It is not conducting City / County work.