Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 19, 2011

TRAFFIC ADVISORY - AUGUST 19 AND AUGUST 20 2011

(Pikesville, MD) – Maryland State Police warn motorists who will be traveling through portions of Maryland this weekend, to plan ahead and be advised of the routes being traveled by a group of 2,500 motorcycles and other vehicles while on an organized charity ride from Somerset, Pennsylvania to Arlington, Virginia in remembrance of lives lost on September, 11, 2001.

On Friday, August 19, 2011, from 7:30 a.m. until approximately 3:00 p.m., and on Saturday, August 20, 2011, from 6:45 a.m. until approximately 12:30 p.m., motorists are urged to plan ahead. The group, called Americas 911 Ride, will travel a route that includes several major roads in Allegany, Washington and Frederick Counties.

The first day of the ride is Friday, August 19, and traffic on I-68, I-70 and on US 15 in Western Maryland is expected to be affected. Motorists traveling in Allegany, Washington and Frederick Counties are urged to plan ahead. For more than 85 miles heading east, participants in the America’s 911 Ride, will travel to their destination, Arlington, Virginia.

According to America’s 911 Foundation, Inc., on August 19, the group is expected to:

• Arrive in Cumberland between 8:00 and 8:30 a.m.
• Travel approximately 35 miles on eastbound I-68 until it merges with I-70.
• Continue east on I-70 an additional 29 miles to Hagerstown and exit east of Hagerstown onto MD 632 toward the Premium Outlets, arriving between 10:30 and 11 a.m.
• Depart the outlets at 1:00 p.m. using MD 65, then travel east on I-70 toward Frederick and exit onto southbound US 15/US 340.
• Exit Maryland on US 15 in the Point of Rocks area heading toward Leesburg Virginia.

Motorists traveling on eastbound I-68 or eastbound I-70 between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. should strongly consider avoiding those routes on Friday, August 19. The entire group is likely to stretch up to 15 miles in length and with ramps blocked, access onto or off of I-68 or I-70 will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

State Highway Administration will also temporarily close the ramp from westbound I-70 onto US 15/US 340 to allow the group access from eastbound I-70 onto US 15/US 340. Both eastbound and westbound I-70 share the same ramp. Westbound I-70 motorists will be directed to the next exit, US 40 Alternate.

Additional perpendicular routes including US 220 in Allegany County, I-81 in Washington County US 15 north of Frederick in Frederick County and US 522 in Hancock will experience major delays as the group travels along eastbound I-68, eastbound I-70 and southbound US 15.

On Saturday, August 20, 2011, at 6:45 a.m., the 2,500 motorcycles and other vehicles will depart Arlington, making their way north on the Baltimore/Washington Parkway to I-95 North toward New York. Traffic is expected to be affected until approximately 12:30 p.m. until the group makes their way into Delaware, and north to New York

According to America’s 911 Foundation, Inc., on day number two, August 20, the group is expected to:

• Depart the Pentagon at 6:45 a.m. onto I-395 N towards Washington, DC
• Travel I-395 N into DC
• Take I-295 / Southeast Freeway toward Pennsylvania Avenue
• Right exit & right turn onto Pennsylvania Avenue
• Travel North on I-295 and merge onto the B/W Parkway
• Stay left to merge onto Baltimore Washington Parkway toward Baltimore
● Exit onto I-895 N toward Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thru-Way/ New York
• Merge onto I-95 N toward New York
• Stop at the Maryland House Rest Area (mile marker 83)
• Exit Maryland House onto I-95 N toward Philadelphia / New York
• Exit onto I-295 N toward New Jersey Turnpike / Delaware Memorial Bridge
• Right exit onto SR-9 S / New Castle Ave. for fuel around 1:00 p.m.


Motorists traveling northbound on the Baltimore/Washington Parkway and on I-95 North from 6:45 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. should strongly consider avoiding those routes on Saturday, August 20. The entire group of vehicles is likely to stretch up to 15 miles in length. Traffic delays are anticipated along the entire route which may be extremely difficult for motorists.

The Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA), the Maryland State Police, local police and numerous other agencies continue to work together, making preparations in advance of the ride and to ultimately support the safe movement of the large group.

Motorists are also encouraged to plan ahead and use the new Maryland 511 traveler information system. Key travel information can be obtained before heading out by calling 511 or logging onto http://www.md511.org/.

No comments: