Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, May 27, 2011

Young And Homeless: From The Streets To College

FRESNO -- When Daniella Valencia relaxes on the grass in front of the library at California State University, Fresno, she appears to be a typical college student.

Daniella, 20, a second-year student majoring in Sociology with a minor in Urbanization, has strawberry blonde hair, a bright smile and an optimistic attitude. She lives with a friend from church in an apartment not far from campus, paying her own rent and utilities.

But prior to December, she lived at a Transitional Living Center (TLC) operated by the Fresno County Economic Opportunities Commission, which provides housing services to homeless youth aged 18-24.

Having left behind the substance abuse and instability that characterized the environment of her two previous homes, Daniella was just looking for a place where she could focus on her schoolwork and move toward a positive future.

"When I was 14 I realized that with my predicament, I wasn't going to be successful in school or with anything," Daniella said about her childhood. "I needed to move out [of my mom’s house.] I was going crazy.”

More

No comments: