Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Health Insurers Ask for Higher Rates

Between 2008 and 2010, the number of insured employees with annual deductibles of at least $2,000 doubled, now representing about 10% of all covered workers. As a result, it looks like more people are postponing or not seeking medical care. But that hasn't stopped the health insurance companies from continuing to ask for rate hikes.

The New York Times reports that, while insurers are profiting from policyholders' reluctance to go out of pocket because of these high deductibles — made worse in many cases by other financial hardships like loss of hours, wages and higher gas costs — these companies are still asking for huge rate increases.

The insurers say they are asking for the double-digit rate increases in advance of expected higher costs to them down the road:

READ MORE …

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile Obama granted another 200 waivers yesterday, and 1 out of every 5 waivers has gone to a business in Nancy Pelosi's district.

Anonymous said...

Since oblahblah I have been dropped by my insurance company forced to find another policy for the exact same price (978.00/month) with HALF of the coverage. So my insurance has doubled! Thanks obama...your fault!

Anonymous said...

Speculating. It's always a bad thing for us and that's what they're doing!
I have no health insurance because I've been unable to afford it. They keep raising their rates so I don't ever see being able to afford it.
I'm very healthy though, thank God!
Maybe a sinus infection once a year, but I've been very fortunate.
I do try to eat right and exercise and since I don't go to the doctor for every little thing, I don't take a lot of medications, which I'm convinced is a bit part of the health problems in this country.

lmclain said...

So, being one of the top three richest business groups in the country, and asking for (with an earnest and straight face) a rate increase "in anticipation of higher costs down the road", I wonder what they would say to their employees who ask for a raise using the same reasoning? Our "leaders", of course, will give these companies their full backing, because not only do they not represent "we, the people" any more, the bribes are just too large to ignore. But, the next election will bring a new crop of thieves and cheats who will "change" things. THAT you can count on....