Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Feeling The Pain At The Pump And More

Yesterday, I filled my mama van with petro. Opting for low grade, in spite of manufacturer recommendation, I completed the transaction noting I a total over $70!

Ouch- knowing this event is on a cycle of every 7-10 days, the simple task of driving comes with a steep price tag!

Off to Food Lion to replace the consumed food items for the household! There’s an increase in the grocery bill from last week!

For milk, bread, veggies, fruit (bypassing all of the pre-packaged snacks and meals) and gas, I spent $120. In order to spend that $120 I had to have earned more money so I could satisfy the mandatory tax burden through my employer. Yes, the “alphabet “ of deductions neatly itemized on a pay-stub- FIT, SIT, m-care and FICA, automatically removed. The leftovers- ALL MINE…or so I think!

Considering the $120 I spent, I did not get $120 worth of product. Taxes and fees are a considerable part of the total amount spent. What “taxes & fees” that are paid by manufacturers are contributing to their MSRP (manufacturer suggested retail price) for the items we purchase? It all adds up and the consumer covers the cost!

Earning and consuming is quite expensive! Food and gas are only one small example of how price of product is driven by taxes and fees. Not only am I working for said employer, but also working for the federal, state & local governments as my income contributes to the funds (by earning and spending) that they spend!

Since I’m forced to make contributions to the coffers of the government, am I wrong in arming myself with more information as to what they are doing with their funds and why they have a budget that spells disaster if it were applied to a household? Unlike the government who taxes, prints money and borrows; I do not have those options. It is up to me to take a good hard look at my budget: incomes, expenses and adjust accordingly!

Editors Notes: This piece comes from our newest Contributor from Ocean City. More to come...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope thay get better!

Anonymous said...

Joe....i would think that fuel prices will make an unexpected drop since crude has dropped 10 dollars a barrel today. Gold id dropping like a rock and the dollar is increasing. Whats up with this?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 3:19pm - I couldn't agree more! Anyone not living under a rock has the same issues!

Anonymous said...

You should buy silver and gold now - preferrably silver

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO OBAMA-WORLD