Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 28, 2011

Salisbury News Goes Back To Anonymous Comments

While I have truly enjoyed the vacation from moderating so many comments in the past and going to registered comments only, I have received a ton of requests asking that we go back to anonymous comments.

The main reason so many have asked us to do so is that they are afraid of retribution. Even though we explained that their information would not be accessed by any outside source, people are clearly afraid and I had to reconsider our position.

The final thing that convinced me to go back to anonymous comments is because it is extremely important, (to me) that comments help our community to openly discuss how they feel about a particular situation/post. If people are afraid, well, then only a certain group of people win and the topic fades away or simply drops.

That being said, we will simply reject the personal attacks, all capital letters and curse word comments. Give me 2 minutes and we'll be back to open comments.

New Posts will fall below this one.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good decision, Joe, and thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe. I enjoy reading other peoples comments, and this just makes it easyer.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks JOe,I asked my son about the concerns the addresses being private.Hes a computer programmer with a large company on the western shore and he said any address could be traced on the internet. Thanks again for the change.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe, this is a good move in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

Finally a reason to visit this site!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe for doing this. The statement you made the other day in one of your posts about Salisbury being the most vindictive place in the country is exactly right, and therefore, the reason alot of people didn't want to comment. I believe you've made the right move going back to anonymous comments.

Justin Case said...

Good decision, Joe.

Anonymous said...

Listen folks, the anonymous comments are back but we need to treat them and Joe with the utmost respect before we lose them again folks.

Anonymous said...

Bout time.

McGruff said...

I applaud this move, Joe.
Though it's harder on you to have to moderate comments (ie- babysit), I'm sure there will be MUCH more participation in the discussions, which is an integral part of what's happening here.

EdenMan said...

I'm not anonymous because I don't say anything different here than I say in public everyday. I've posted comments here that were later found to be partially incorrect....I'm only right 51% of the time, and don't take it personally when others point that out. Also, I don't call out an individual because I disagree with their post. We're all individuals and entitled to voice our opinion. This is what makes our country the great power that it is....thank you for being you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe. I really enjoy your site and also reading other people's opinions. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for going back to normal. We can all speak now.

lmclain said...

Joe...good work. Thanks. And "EdenMan"...I hate to tell you, but you are STILL anonymous...