Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How Real Is Crime


Muir W. Boda
Candidate for Salisbury City Council
(410)603-3347

At 1:36 am I woke up to what I thought was someone knocking on my front door. As I lay in my bed thinking that it was a little too loud to be a knock on my front door, two more loud bangs rang through my neighborhood and I knew it was gun shots. It sounded like it was in my front yard.
Immediately I made my wife get on the floor while struggling to find my phone, I then realized it was in another room. We remained on the floor for another twenty minutes between our bed and an interior wall away from windows.
I then got up and peaked out my bedroom window and could tell that lights were flashing. I then moved out into the living room, checked our alarm and then went back to our bedroom. I spent the rest of night listening to what seemed like every rain drop landing on our roof. Like everyone in our neighborhood, we tried to go back to sleep.
The psychological affects of crime on a neighborhood, regardless of crime statistics, never go away because people never forget. They never forget that one street over a resident in my neighborhood was grazed by bullet that went flying through her house. They never forget that a girl is killed because a gang thought she was getting out of someone else’s car. They never forget that a food delivery person is robbed at gunpoint across from the Doverdale Playground in broad daylight.
Crime is here, crime is real and we need to address it with real solutions, now. Until we realize that we are losing a war, long term, because we fail to address the root causes of crime. It is more than just a city issue because criminals know no boundaries. Everyone must be on board from every level of government regardless of political party, we need to work together and develop solutions now.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Muir, this is a touching story and all, but what EXACTLY are your ideas about combating crime in Salisbury? Give some facts and real ideas, not platitudes and ideals.

Anonymous said...

Crime wasn't real until he actually heard shots fired in his neighborhood?

Anonymous said...

dispite all the diatribe i dont see and solutions from this candidate.
thanks sjd

Anonymous said...

10:26, I guess not. Maybe I should send him my story. I don't live in Salisbury anymore, but I am still a victim of a violent crime in Salisbury.

Anonymous said...

I would of slammed five dbl alts in the 12 and been getting outside on my property as fast as I could. Grow a set buddy. If I have to go out it will not be on my knees.

Anonymous said...

Its the truth, thats all it is.

Anonymous said...

So while you write this sweet little letter. Did you ever think about the fact that the brave men and women out there protecting your scared butt. Maybe there isnt enough men and women on the street to take care of you when you really need it? Ever think of that..How about if someone came crashing through your front door armed trying to get away from the police. Then what? alot can happen in a split second. You might stay on your knees and start praying for a solution to fix the problems on the street. Maybe if you find a way..you can sleep a little better. Prevention is your best answer. Act dont just think,write, or talk.

Anonymous said...

Regardless of political party?
Does that include the SAPOA party?

Anonymous said...

I had the same thought as 10:26. Crime wasn't a reality until it happened in HIS neighborhood, while all the rest of us have been living with it for years. But according to Ireton crime is down. Wonder what category this recent shooting will get buried under. If it weren't for the Sheriffs office putting more on patrol this place would be a total ghetto. We can blow money on a freaking boat but can not hire more patrolmen? Oh yea, it was free, but the thousands spent on maintence aren't free are they? Typical politics. How is this SOPOA's fault? Do you have proof they lived in a multi family dwelling? Moron.

Anonymous said...

Lovely commentary. You really need to get a new clientel Joe.

Anonymous said...

Diatribe? At least one person paid attention in school. All kidding aside, the man is right. The candidate has no real plan to fix this growing problem, only to capitalize on it. Shame on you Boda. Now please go back to bed.

junior sample br549 said...

instead of running for crimebury council i would wager all my efforts to move somewere else like gumboro

Anonymous said...

Maybe Boda wants you to think he's special because he lives in a neighborhood experiencing crime like that.

Well, guess what, huggy bear, it's all over. The north end had the murdered Shell station owner, Camden had the murder at Smith & Maryland and the commercial area near Camden had the pregnant girl who was murdered. Then there were the not-so-innocent murders like at Parkwood but that's technically county.

Gunshots go off where I am too, but I'll skip noting that neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

forgive me if im wrong, but wasnt Boda quoted on this blog last time he wanted to run as saying that he leaves his doors unlocked all the time because there is not crime in Salisbury?

Anonymous said...

The best way to deal with it is to ignore it. Thats what the local news sources do. I REALLY doesnt happen if we dont report it, right?

Meanwhile my hometown had a small spike in crime and the citizens formed a community watch program that had citizens policing the areas with higher crime occurrences. Many of the citizens understood that police cant be everywhere so they came together for a solution. Guess what, crime nearly became non-existent. Everyone around here just b!tches and complains. Its amazing how different parts of the country have such vast different ways of dealing with local problems. Around here everyone has the ignorance is bliss dealing method. Hey, whatever works for you. lol