Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

MEMORIES From A Friend

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.Ignition switches on the dashboard.Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother used a wringer washer, then rinsed the clothes by putting them into first one wash tub filled with cold water, into which had been poured a dark blue liquid that turned the whole tub of water blue. From that tub the clothes went through the wringer to get most of the water out and then into a second tub of clear, cold water for a final rinse. Then they went through the wringer again, then into the clothes basket, taken outside and hung on the clothes line to dry. What was the blue liquid? It was called "Bluing", found in the store with laundry products. The purpose of bluing was to whiten clothes, before the advent of bleach. Obviously, only white clothes, sheets, white shirts and blouses and the like went into the bluing.

Anonymous said...

Remember it all.

Anonymous said...

I also remember when my computer would "dial up" the internet with those weird little beeping noises. Wow that was so long ago!

Anonymous said...

Heck we called the person we were dialing up so they could turn the computer on and we connected over the phone. Too funny!!! I had forgotten about those days, but I also remember all that first person said. I also remember back in the day we had a partyline!!! That was different than a party..... and a line.... LOL

Anonymous said...

I still have the dial up with all those beeping noises.
And how about when you could call yourself on your home phone from within the house.

Anonymous said...

I still have a set of pant clips!

Anonymous said...

Remember when you could get a free glass or dish towel in a box of laundry detergent.Mom still has hers.LOL