Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Are You Changing Your Car's Oil Too Frequently?

According to the consumer advice editor at Edmunds, if you bought a car in the last seven or eight years, you don't have to change its oil every 3,000 miles. On these newer models, it's fine to wait until 7,500 miles or more, although a Pennzoil employee tells the New York Times that you should stick with what your manual advises (which is still probably less frequent than every 3,000 miles). You can also check out this California State list of guidelines for different cars.

More »

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drive about 300 miles a day (my job)and change my oil every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. The manufacture recommends about 15,000 miles. Normally get 400,000 to 500,000 on a vehicle. If you drive a lot of high speed, long distance stay away from multi weight oils (oil manufactures recommendation). Makes no difference what make you are driving.

Anonymous said...

Around town, start and stop, 5,000 miles is good on todays cars. if they sit a lot, change it 3 times a year.

Anonymous said...

I have always changed my oil at 3,000 mile intervals. My last vehicle had 245,000 miles when I had to get rid of it because of a bug in the computer system that nobody could fix. I still have two vehicles with about 210,000 miles on each. They both run good and do not use any oil. I'm going to keep on doing what I have been doing.

Anonymous said...

hey anom 6:04, ya said it right. Best insurance you can give an engine is regular oil & filter changes. I run synthetic in all my vehicles, and i still change it every 3500-5000 miles. If you like replacing engines & engine parts, stretch those intervals. I'm in the repair business, and just about all of our customers change their oil & filter @ 3,000miles. Gee, most of them have no engine or oil consumption issues. Wonder why?