Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, February 14, 2010

True Confession



Yesterday I called Phronesis, (one of our Contributors) to fill him in on my day. Things got a little mixed up and I wanted to clarify it.

The above photos represent the property in Powellville I spoke of yesterday. I put out a request, if anyone was in that area, could they possibly help this Family out.

Considering I hadn't heard anything I thought I'd drive out there and clear out the property, just in case no one had shown up.

To my surprise, in the distance, I saw the above equipment working on a property and considering the houses are far apart out there, I couldn't tell if this was the property I was looking for, or not. So I drove by, waved to the gentleman in the Bobcat and continued to search for the property I was looking for.

It turns out, by the time I got to the next home I had clearly passed the property I was looking for, so I turned around. Yes, you guessed it, the property I was looking for was the one being cleared. My timing couldn't be better.

Folks, this gentleman is a Volunteer Fire Fighter from the Powellville Fire Department. No, he didn't see the request on Salisbury News. He was doing a Lifetime Member of the PFD across the street and saw this home had not been cleared, so he simply rode across the street and took it upon himself to just clear the way.

Once again, the Eastern Shore Firefighters come through without even asking! My hat is tipped to this fine Gentleman and while I didn't get his name, I'm confident someone will come on here and let us know who he is.

5 comments:

joealbero said...

Powellvillian, I rejected your comment because it's innaccurate.

The information provided by one of my contributors was inaccurate. He was talking about another property I had done with a handicap ramp in Salisbury. He got them mixed up, thats all.

Anonymous said...

thats good that he helped his member and fellow firefighter. i respect that, but who was out clearing driveways out of St. Lukes Rd and Meadow Bridge? a tractor trailer had gotten stuck and LOCAL FARMERS had to pull him out....if it wasn't for the LOCAL FARMERS! that live out on the 2 roads between Meadow Bridge and St Lukes no one would have been able to leave their house...yes the county did come down our way (which never ever happens, we were shocked!) but they only made the roads worse...so I respect and appreciate the local farmers and the Powellville fire fighter to help their fellow neighbors out. HATS OFF TO YOU!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting all of these Joe. You have inspired so many and proved you're not all talk.

Kevin White said...

My name is Kevin White; I am the anonymous bobcat operator that was clearing driveways Saturday that was posted on the Salisbury News Website, I am a member of Powellville Volunteer Fire Department. I was working in the area that is depicted on the website. If one of the driveways that I cleared is the address that was discussed on this article, that is a good thing. If not, please let me know by contacting the Powellville Volunteer Fire Department (410) 835-8181and someone in the area can make sure help is provided. Please don’t misunderstand; the Fire Department involvement with this, the Fire Department does not perform snow removal operations. Typically one of our volunteer members perform this task on there own. The Fire Department is simply a method of communications. I think it is actually pretty interesting that something like this made news. I am not the only person out there that who generously gives there time helping unknown strangers. Many people have donated there time and equipment in helping people dig out of the most recent snow storms. In my opinion they deserve a pat on the back as well. Believe it or not, there are some people out there that enjoy helping others without monetary gains in mind.

joealbero said...

Thank You Kevin.