Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

21 Things Your Burglar Won't Tell You

Twenty One Things Your Burglar Won't Tell You:

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste ... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom-and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door-understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at faketv.com.)

14. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

15. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

16. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

17. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

18. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

19. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

20. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

21. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California, Kentucky, security consultant Chris McGoey, who runs crimedoctor.com; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his book Burglars on the Job.

Protection for you and your home:

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Wasp SprayWhen asked by a concerned person about using pepper spray, the local police department recommended that she get a can of wasp spray instead.The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote.

Wasp And Hornet SprayOn the heels of a break in and beating in Toledo, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.A teacher in the art of self-defense has told his students for decades to keep a can of wasp and hornet spray near their door or bed. "This is better than anything I can teach them." It is inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, "spray the culprit in the eyes". "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save your life. Please share this with all the people in your life.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS IS AWSOME....SOME VERY GOOD POINTS IN HERE THAT I NEVER THOUGHT OF....

Anonymous said...

911 How can I help you? Yes there is a burglar with his blown off laying on my kitchen floor, could you send someone over to clean up this pile of sh!t. Wonder if your home-owners insurance would cover the damage?

Anonymous said...

very helpful stuff in that post. That was definitely a good post Joe.

Daddio said...

How does wasp spray work against mean dogs? I'm tempted to carry a can ....

Anonymous said...

hi joe, my daughter came home from prince street school with a letter saying that there was an incident that ocurred while children were walking to school and the police were notified and they want us to talk to our children about safety and strangers, do you what happened.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. We all need reminding of the smart things we can do to discourage intruders.

Anonymous said...

Here's one more..
"And if you live in Fruitland, I get to see your house every week while I empty your trash.. you see, I ride the back of the trash truck during the day while I'm out of jail.
Some of my other inmate friends get even better jobs riding around with city employees in their trucks. It's a great way to see the town.
Of course, while we're still in jail we can't come visit you, but our friends sure can."

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mardela, for posting this. I take many of these precautions, but there were a couple of ones I hadn't thought of.

Had to laugh about the virgin snow -- been there, done that, for real! Was so pleased with myself that I thought of it.

Note: I've never been a burglar.

Anonymous said...

One thing that was brought up was the friends that your kids meet and bring around or parties and "open houses". I had a neighbor that had a Christmas open house in his newly built home and three weeks later his house was robbed of everything the thief could remove easily. No doubt that was a friend of a friend hit. By leary of anyone you invite into your home that you don't know like the back of your hand.

Anonymous said...

anon. 4:06 ...not sure what had happened at the school...but i would be pretty pissed off if all i got was a letter sent home with my child and not a phone call during to the day to let me know. heck, they could have atleast let you know in the letter.